Time to drive into a river...

she_strokes04

Diesel TV Host
Ok so, of course now that it's spring and I'm going to want to start using A/C, my 06 is gonna throw a hissy fit. Lately, when A/C is on and I'm idling my TDI shakes really really bad. 116,000 miles on it. I had the timing belt done at 100,000 from VW and they replaced my alternator pulley because it was making a horrible screeching sound with the a/c at idle. At 110,000 I had my dual mass flywheel replaced and the oil changed and just last weekend I took it to VW to service because we were going on a day trip to the coast. They said all my belts look fine and every thinking else looked fine, except I did have a slight oil leak, but nothing to really be concerned about. My fan is broken, but would that make my whole car shake? Also sometimes we will hear a knocking, like an actual person knocking on the door. I always say my squirrel is breaking acorns when I hear it.

Any ideas? I just want this stupid car to be 100%.

Thanks!

A broken fan wil unbalance an engine if it is clutch driven off the front, but I believe yours is electric. So, that is out... Possible ac compressor failure coming real soon, just did it with the wifes suburban...
Also, check out your motor mounts, collapsed ones wil knock and shake car real bad at idle

Last edited:
A broken fan wil unbalance an engine if it is clutch driven off the front, but I believe yours is electric. So, that is out... Possible ac compressor failure coming real soon, just did it with the wifes suburban...
Also, check out your motor mounts, collapsed ones wil knock and shake car real bad at idle

We thought motor mounts, but I don't know why having a/c on would make it do it, unless the broken fan is just making it shake.

Possibly because the ac puts load on the motor therefore making the noise$.02

Possibly because the ac puts load on the motor therefore making the noise$.02

True lol. Wonder how much of a b word it is to check them on a TDI...

Also wonder what my "knocking" sound might be

Last edited:
Back