Timing and torque specs/head studs

cumminsforlife

Just from past experience you can ever get a 12v out of time as long as the keys are in and you line the 00 and 0 up on cam and crank to make a triangle. But my question is which should be open on the #1 cylinder intake or exhaust i wanna say exhaust but just want to check to be sure with you guys.

My other question is how much can you torque arp main studs(12mm) before deformation i was thinking about taking mine to around 135lbs which wont be a problem but was wanting to hear how far some have taken it.

Last question is i have a set of new 425 head studs never used that i was thinking about running in my pulling truck. Iv heard of alot of big time pullers using head bolts but have alot of sneaky little secrets. I have industrial injections fire ring kit and was thinking taking the 425s to 150lbs of torque. Just unsure of how far some have taken them. Im running triples and should be making 100 to 130lbs of boost. How far can you take 425s before they start to streatch?

I would never go 150 ft-lbs on a 2000 series head stud. Max I go is 135ft-lbs. I honestly would not exceed the ARP spec on the main studs but that's me.

Iv taken stock head bolts to 145lb in 5 lb increments after the 125lbs required and all are fine and never stretched i would think a head stud could withstand a whole lot more than that with the newer kind of metal and the heat treating they do to them,

Not trying to be an A hole but that's like me saying. I have drove drunk before and didn't kill my self or anyone else..

Again that's just me and they do have reasoning for the suggested specs..

The ones in my 89 are at 140lb-ft. I did some research a while back on the subject, and there is a margin of safety built into the torque specs so they're 100% safe at that level. You can go another 20% or so and it "should" work, just know you're pushing it.

I have done 150, but I have broke some too. 135-140 is what I do now.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Neither intake or exhaust will be open on #1 if the engine is at tdc

TDC will be right after the intake valve closes, then to your mark.

I've taken ARP 2000 studs to 150 ft-lbs. at a friends request on his truck. Almost everyone had some galling on the threads. To the point that you needed the allen wrench and a combo wrench to take the nuts off to re-lube. I've gone to 125-130 ft-lbs on my own trucks. Never an issue. Generally don't have to worry about stretching the studs into plastic deformation.

At 150 ft. lbs I'd be getting scared for the 2000's... If they were 625's the threads in the block would be my main concern at that point...

If you are going to be running the fire ring head gasket then you need to just sale those 425's to someone and buy a good set of 625's. You will run into head gasket issues real quick if you have a healthy set of turbos and are actually going to be running over 100psi. I torque my 625's to 160ft-lb and they feel great compared to the 425's even at 125ft-lbs.

Back