timing...i hope

Cross95

Golden Eye
To start off, i've used the search feature and my symptoms are like everybody elses that have had a timing slip I just want some other opinions.

The KDP killed me, lucked out and just got the case. Got that fixed and retimed it. The truck ran fine on the way to get fuel which was about 7 miles away and sit and idled while i filled up and also idled before I left for about 45 minutes. I noticed it was hazing alot more than usual so I called a buddy (lenahan05 on here) and he told me that I went to way to far on the balancer and he asked if i had a loss of power or anything. So I got in it a bit leaving the fuel station (2200 rpm ish) and out of nowhere it popped a time or 2 and just fogged the road and was smoking liked crazy at idle and would barely run. I shut it off and when I tried restarting it would fire for about a second and smoke everywhere and just die and it just keeps doing that. I assume my timing has slipped, we torqued the nut to 144ft lbs, cummins spec, and tapped it with a hammer and torqued again.

My mods are 5x14s, 5kgsk, ground fuel plate. Its a 1995 with the 160hp pump.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Like I said i assume its timing but I wanted a few more opinions.

Sounds like it jumped time.

Make sure to clean the pump shaft, and gear really good with brake cleaner before you tighten everything down. Any lil bit of oil residue left on the shaft will cause it to slip timing.

I torqued mine to 150ft lbs....

Last edited:
Ya when me and lenahan retimed it the 1st time we torqued it to 170 and the gear sucked getting off to fix the case but atleast it didn't move.

Timing. I had the exact same scenario on my old 97. I fixed the kdp, drove a bit taking her easy, then did a hard fourth gear pull and exact same symptoms as you.

Did yours timing jump or was it initially too high? Mine was at 28*, ran great until it jumped.

Did yours timing jump or was it initially too high? Mine was at 28*, ran great until it jumped.

Mine was set at 16*. Mine was running fine for a few miles till i romped on it. it was pushing about 40lbs of boost and all of the sudden just fell on its face. When the timing slipped it popped, choked, and bellowed white smoke. I couldn't run above 20mph. I drove it home and after shutting it off it wouldn't restart. Not sure what the timing was after it jumped; I just pulled the gear and reset it.

Yep same thing happened to me, I got on it a bit after i got fuel and it ran great then fell on its face and smoked everywhere and when I shut it off it wouldn't start. Then i had to be pulled back to the shop by dads powerstroke lol. The gear popped off as I was screwing in the bolts to use the puller, didn't touch the forsner screw. Regardless, its retimed and ran well.

Yep same thing happened to me, I got on it a bit after i got fuel and it ran great then fell on its face and smoked everywhere and when I shut it off it wouldn't start. Then i had to be pulled back to the shop by dads powerstroke lol. The gear popped off as I was screwing in the bolts to use the puller, didn't touch the forsner screw. Regardless, its retimed and ran well.

Glad you got it figured out.

Back