Timing issue? Maybe?

LittleWhite97

Alright guys I need some help!! The truck is a 1997 12 valve manuel. Before this weekend it had a 10 plate ff, afc tuned just right, stock delivery valves and injectors. It ran excellent. Just installed valair dd clutch and upgraded input shaft to with stand future mods. :rockwoot:
The truck now = Just installed 7x.016 injectors, 024 delivery valves. Left 10 plate ff to hold fueling back untill head studs and turbo gets here. On starte up after install, truck ran a little rough ( fuel lines full of air from being off ) but cleared up quickly. As it idled I checked the fuel lines, holders and everything I replaced to make sure there was no leaks, there was nun. As it idled it wanted to stumble like it was wanting to die but a quick blip of the throttle would clear it up for a little while. Also it was pouring raw fuel from exhaust at idle. I took the truck around the block and it had a real noticeable miss at low rpms, and a popping from the exhaust at about 2k. ( raw fuel smoking the hole time ). Hard acceleration the popping would clear up and the truck would pull like a monster but back off the throttle and the popping comes back! ( black smoke goes away raw fuel smoke comes back ).
I've searched these symptoms on here and google and everyone seems to have timing issues?! I don't know! Was running fine before injectors and dv but now idles and low rpm stumbles!
Any advice is greatly appreciated!!:bow: Just want some trouble shooting ideas before tearing it back down to look. Thanks

go back and double check the fuel plate, DV's, and injectors. Timing wont slip while its tore down.

Well nothing you did should have effected the timing. But its a good idea to check it and probably bump it to 18 or so, since you didn't mention anything more than stock.

Were there copper washers under the DV's? How tight did you get the DV holder? Is your OFV modified? Fuel filter good?

No GSK kit?

Yes sir, I understand the 10 plate ff equals more fuel I was meaning leave it there instead if pulling it out completely or running a more aggressive one.
Didn't see any washers under the dv, replaced the holders to and got them pletty tight. No leaks anyway! Ofv unmodified, fuel filter good. I was planning on bumping the timeing soon to about 18 to just wondering way it runs like this now!! Gskt kit and studs chiming soon to

Recheck the DV's. I've seen the spring on them not get centered inside and will cause this. If it is not that, your injectors may need to be checked.

Well got to mess with the truck a little today. Fired it up and started cracking injector lines at the injector to see if the miss would get worse or what. Every line made it worse except the #3. Took everything back apart to inspect the dv and everything checked out on the pump side so looks like I'll be pulling the #3 to see what the deal is

Back