Timing Light

Mudn_1

Sweet Home
Recommend a Diesel Timing Light? I have Priced them and Woah...

ok. What Light would be a good one? and Does there have to be a mark on the balancer for TDC? or how exactly do they work? I've never used one... but need accurate timing on my P24v. "where I think i am, and Where I'm really at" LOL

ok. What Light would be a good one? and Does there have to be a mark on the balancer for TDC? or how exactly do they work? I've never used one... but need accurate timing on my P24v. "where I think i am, and Where I'm really at" LOL

I use a snap on one, you can buy a cheaper one though. Yes, needs a mark on the balancer for TDC and I use a dial indicator down the injector bore to find that.

I have a blue point pulse adapter, pretty much the same as the one posted. Works well, just make sure you turn it off when you're done using it. There's no light to indicate when its on, just the knob position. Minor complaint, otherwise its excellent.

It has a piezo-electric sensor that clamps onto the injection line. A wire connects to that, and then it has an alligator clamp to a ground. It has a loop of wire that produces a pulse of current like in a spark plug wire would, and that's where pickup on the timing light will clamp onto.

If you have a regular timing light with no advance feature, you'll need your damper degreed out. If you get one that has the advance feature, then any reference mark will work. Obviously, TDC would make the most sense, but if you're doing timing changes and just need a frame of reference, a random mark would work.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=647416&group_ID=675532
That's the light that I have.

I've found with the pulse sensor right by the injector, its about 1-2 degrees retarded of what the timing chart says it should be. The sensor near the pump is advanced about 3 degrees relative to the injector. So it jives with the numbers well. And it allowed me to make a timing chart for a pump that I had built with an aftermarket cam that did not come with a chart, and was 'pinned' at 17 degrees, but was actually at 12.

I don't use it often, but I still think it was a good purchase for when I do use it.

Pretty much what I needed to know.I'll just get one coming.

Back