timing slip?

gatorskinseats5

advanced my timing 10* earlier today and drove it for around an hour or two and it ran really really well. Was pullin very hard all the way to 2800-3k rpms compared to before I advanced the timing. then all of a sudden just cruising down the road the truck shut down like the shutoff solenoid quit working. I removed the solenoid and left the arm up and it would start but only with the pedal to the floor, it would barely run, and it would chug white smoke. this seems like a tell tale sign of slipped timing to me but I figure its worth sharing on here to see what people think. I also noticed my afc was totally loose, missing two bolts and the two that were there were loose and the afc was rather separated from the pump a bit, blowing oil everywhere. could have something bound up in there from a loose afc housing or something? I haven't gotten a chance to look at it since me and a friend towed it home. cant get it in my garage and its dark so ill wait

I slipped my timing Sunday and I had a huge backfire, along with getting pulled over Cuz my truck was billowing white smoke and not going through the light, and to top it off when the cop got to my window the the truck back fired again and scared the S**t out of the cop lol. No ticket tho :) My timing was at 8* now its back to normal!!

Last edited:
rough up the pump shaft with emory cloth or 100grit sandpaper then tourque to 165ft/lbs... Itll never slip again, this coming from weston

Back