Tire selection?

Rodram2002

I'm looking at what tire to go with for next season. I will be pulling 2.8 class on the west coast. The tracks here are loose compared to trakes back east. Mudders seem to work better over AT here.

I'm wandering what tire you might sugest and what width of tire?

I want to stay with a 33" tire. I have run Toyo Mt's 305/70R-16 for the last season and did well with them. I am thinking of finding something with a 13"-14" width for a little larger tire patch.

Thoughts?

I know I am running a dually set-up but the BFG mud terrain 255/85R16 has served me well. Need to get something wider for the front though and that will probably be an 33"x12.50R16 Swamper STS.

Joe

Two tires come to mind. BFG AT and STS.
If you have a wet track the STS can fill up. I would like a set of STS, but the BFG AT does very well. Especially if you have good tire pressures.

This may be a dumb question so please for give my ignorance, but I have looked at my local rules and a 35 in tire is allowed, wouldn't a bigger tire hook better? it seems like a lot of people run 33in???

I also seen a truck at a local pull have smaller tires in the rear and bigger in the front, A LOT bigger! like 32-33 in back and 34-35 in the front???????????

can some one give me pulling tires 101 please......

Thanks

bigger tires work if you have the gear for it...most guys go with 33's because its a little more forgiving when it comes to gearing, and they dont hook as hard and break things. I ran back to back pulls with 35's and broke, went to 33's and have only broke one u-joint in 20 hooks since dropping to 33's

35s have more of a squishy wall on a 16" rim causing bouncing issues also.

STS's work realy well here on the tight, clay tracks. But if you running on loose sandy tracks go with a MT Claw. Ive seen a few of them run on loose tracks and they do great!

STS's work realy well here on the tight, clay tracks. But if you running on loose sandy tracks go with a MT Claw. Ive seen a few of them run on loose tracks and they do great!

I've been thinking of the STS's, but not sure with the loose trackes here. The Toyo MT's work well, but I can't find a 13" wide tire untill I go to 18" rims. The 12.5" wide tires just seem to bee too narrow and I know of Lenny Reed rinning 33/15.5-16" MT Baja Claws and they just float instead of grabing. I think a 13 and maybe 14" wide tire will work weel out here.

somebody in lancaster did pretty well with boggers.
I think with an auto, some worn boggers might work at some tracks out here.

Last edited:
The Toyo MT's have been very popular and work well up in Washington and Oregon.

My tire 35x12.50-16 mounted on a 16x12. STS
Might try a 36x14.50-16 STS depends on how I feel.
Brandon

trxus STS:rockwoot: I wish I would have bought them before the last pull around here, but I know I wont run anything but them now. I think they are the only way to go. 33x12.5x17

i used 295/75/17 toyo mts and they worked really good but the tracks up here in alberta are usually really clayey, i dug some mean ruts with them hahaha

Back