tired of the solenoid leaning toward a cable

rockytopcummins

Alright guys. I'm DONE fighting with this (choose your expletive) fuel shut off solenoid. It's wired right, got good batteries with good charge, but none of them are lasting much more than six months.

Question is, what are y'all using for a manual cable shutoff? Is it as simple as getting a generic choke cable from the parts store? Is there one specifically made for this? Any help is appreciated.

I've used the generic cheap choke cable. Worked fine for years.

choke cable. I hacked up the FSS bracket to mount the cable to. I used the choke kit with all of the little pieces included out of the help section at the autoparts store.

I ran a stock solenoid setup on mine for years. No problems. A cable seems mickey mouse.

I ran a stock solenoid setup on mine for years. No problems. A cable seems mickey mouse.

The problem I ran into with mine is the truck had a gremlin in it. It would fry solenoids to the point of flames and melt relays. All randomly though. Some would last a year others a week. No warning. Some had issues with a bad starter causig the pull up wire to stay hot. New starter didn't fix the issue and $150-200 on solenoids got old. 20 dollar choke cable was the best option for the 20 year old truck. My story is pretty common amongst 12 valves. Hints the choke cable.

Couldn't you put like a 20 amp breaker on the pull wire? Save your solenoid at least.

Couldn't you put like a 20 amp breaker on the pull wire? Save your solenoid at least.

The pull up wire will draw more than 20 amps all day long. It takes a 40+ amp relay at the least on the pull up side. Testing a solenoid on the bench with a battery really gives you an idea of the amps it draw. Turns the pull up wire into a welding rod in a hurry.

Back