To cam or not?

I say cam it!!!

I have a hamilton big stick in my truck now and it made my s465 pretty fun to drive on the street.

If you call Fletcher make sure to have a pad & pen handy or record the phone call....talk about SEVERE INFO OVERLOAD! :eek: LOL

no ****... I wasn't sure if he was feeding me full of crap because of our past or not. :hehe:. Either way, I know he'll make my truck run like I want it to (I'm REAL picky). I am definitely going with one of his Cams.

I say cam it!!!

I have a hamilton big stick in my truck now and it made my s465 pretty fun to drive on the street.

I have one of Gregs cams and it makes my s465 VERY streetable also... not that its a huge single, but still. I agree though with everyone that a cam is a must. My s465 spools almost as fast as my HX40.

it really doesnt matter WHO YOU GO WITH----- but with the motor out.....YOU MUST PUT A CAM IN THERE!!!!

If you were to measure that lobe is the face of it flat or sloped? Looks like it would be sloped since the wear is heaviest on one side and fades away going to the other...?

My regrind was only in my truck for 2k-5k miles (not really sure) before the engine came out and it looked just like it did when I installed it.

My reciept after the rebuild for long engine/camshaft life is 15w-50 Mystic synthetic oil, Lucas Oil engine break in lube with ZDDP and 1.25" diameter 24v tappets. I am hoping it keeps any wear minimal.
Not going to say where I got it as I do not want to bash on anybody. They re-ground it again for me but the base circle is soo small the adjusters sit below the locknuts on the rockers.
It is a VP cam in a P-pumped 24v. I discovered it during the Swap.
I did use the zinc break in and it started life in a fresh rebuild. I was also told to NOT use synthetic by the manufacturer as it causes premature wear....Sounds like BS to me but I do not see anymore than my one cam. So all I can do is follow instructions

I did not do any measuring as I was not a happy camper and just set it down and walked away:banghead:

I have one of Gregs cams and it makes my s465 VERY streetable also... not that its a huge single, but still. I agree though with everyone that a cam is a must. My s465 spools almost as fast as my HX40.

Sure is a heck of a ride isnt it? :evil

If/when you do buy a cam make sure you get a bolt on cam gear retainer ... its well worth the money

Whats everyones opinion of Haisleys street cam? I can get a pretty good deal on a slightly used one that fits my budget

Read my last post. I have also used a couple of cams from Hogue (Comp461), both were re grinds and worked very well. Used probably 5-6 altogether including buddies trucks and never had any issues with any of them.

no ****... I wasn't sure if he was feeding me full of crap because of our past or not. :hehe:. Either way, I know he'll make my truck run like I want it to (I'm REAL picky). I am definitely going with one of his Cams.

I juat today got my truck back with a fletcher cam in it. I'm at 4600 ft elevation. It use to spool my 64mm over S480 terribly and I had to be very light on the peddle. I smash the peddle now and that truck gets up and moves like a elephant that just got his nuts smashed with a sledge hammer. It gets up and goes, nothing is stopping it now. Not even with the big 265 hp sticks...

i would like to know what additives everyone put in to break the new cam in. just wondering for when i fire my engine up what i need to put in it. thanks.

I juat today got my truck back with a fletcher cam in it. I'm at 4600 ft elevation. It use to spool my 64mm over S480 terribly and I had to be very light on the peddle. I smash the peddle now and that truck gets up and moves like a elephant that just got his nuts smashed with a sledge hammer. It gets up and goes, nothing is stopping it now. Not even with the big 265 hp sticks...

i say cam it as well. bill fletcher at diesel pros has damn good prices and bad a$$ grinds.

Read my last post. I have also used a couple of cams from Hogue (Comp461), both were re grinds and worked very well. Used probably 5-6 altogether including buddies trucks and never had any issues with any of them.

You said the best you had used was a Scheids Street cam. Is the Scheid and Haisley the same cam or? Or have you used the Haisley as well?

Any more opinions from anyone? I'd like some more feedback on the Haisley street cam from anyone who knows or has used them.

Back