Tore the Engine down today for the new build and "WOW"

smokin06

Ok fellas i tore the engine down today for my new build, anyways everything looked new as far as rings, bearings, cylinder walls. The problem is when we pulled the bellhousing off the back of the motor the cap in the block where the cam is fell on the ground, i knew exactly what it was, the cam gear was pulled probably 3/8" to 1/2" off the cam, it was hitting the front cover and eating into it. Good thing i was already gonna have a new cam made and bolt on cam gear, 1 more 4,000 rpm burnout and it probably trashed the engine. Pretty Scary.

I'm very interested in the combination in these cam gear walk off posts. I'm not sure if even delivery valves make a difference of how much hp the pump takes to turn but know when I swapped from 191s to 181s the truck was harder to turn over with the starter and when going back to 191s the truck became easier to turnover with the starter. Not sure if there's something electrical that I distrubed which contributed but that's my observation. I bring that up because it seems the more pressure it takes to turn your pump the more danger possible of having this happen.

no its a big 12mm maxed out by cds, almost took the cam clear off the gear shoved the plug out the back and rubbed grooves in the front cover, very scary could have been bad.

no its a big 12mm maxed out by cds, almost took the cam clear off the gear shoved the plug out the back and rubbed grooves in the front cover, very scary could have been bad.

Was this truck turned hard, as in over 3300 on the consistent basis? Pulling ruck or a street/strip type deal?

oh yeah, i came off the line at 4600 and alot of 4500 rpm burnouts, the truck was run hard, its a twin turbo truck. Still scary could have trashed the whole motor.

It can happen to any of them. I saw an 8.3 Cummins last month that did the exact same thing...and it was in a Komatsu trackhoe.

Burner, i love your avatar. I want that on my tailgate. That should piss some people off or altleast scare them when they are behind ya. Tim

Sorry for the major thread hijack by the way.

Back