Tranny????

Willy91

Alrighty folks. I'm looking for some guidance on buying a transmission. A guy from around here has a 95 that he just converted to a 5spd. He has the old transmission from it wich was rebuilt a year and a half ago. It has a performance valve body, aftermarket torque converter( it's gun metal gray, kind of think it's a BD) andcome with an ATS lockup commander. He's offering me one heck of a deal to get rid of it. I can buy the TC and valve body for $300 or I can buy the hole thing for $1000, what do you's think? will it work on a 97? He said his truck is making around 400HP and the trans didn't think slipping. Only bad this is he said it has 2 sensors out. I think he means the solenoids in the valve body, but anyways whats your 2 cents on this.

I dont think teh valve body is the same as yours. I would get the tc but the vb I think they changed trans in 95 model.

The 95 has the 47RH (hydraulic governor) and the 97 has the 47RE (electronic governor. Unfortunately, they're not compatible. The torque convertor may work, I'm not sure.

brnadon.

Got a different deal worked out, $300 for the torque converter and the ATS commander, the way I figure, I can buy this then go to HTS and buy a valve body and have a set up for around 700-$800. Should be good enough for the new truck.

Anybody here have any experience with the ATS Commander, or have heard anything about it?

I picked up my parts today, ATS commander in good shape, and the TC. Turns out it was manufactured by protorque. Anyone ever heard of them? Depending on how good of a product they make it looks like I got lucky, cuz it's a tripple disk.:rockwoot: Anyone know how to wire the Commander?

Welp we got it all hooked up yesterday I'll see how good I can make a right up here. install was pretty straight forward, went out on the test ru and the first stop sign I came to it almost killed the truck, and it wasn't even set all the way down. So I turned it up a little more and got it to the point where it'll hold lockup till about 25 then it'll let it out wich is pretty smooth. I was hoping to be able to run it a little lower, but it wants to shudder the TC/kill the engine. As adjustability goes, it is very adjustable. I can set it as low as about 25 MPH all the way to past the stock settings. Goes in about 5MPH increments, right now I've got it set to lockup at about 40MPH because if I go any lower it seams to lug the engine to hard on lockup, I don't know if this is just because of my close to stock power levels or stock torque converter or what. But all in all I do feel it is a good product. Would I buy it if I wasn't getting it with the Torque converter, well I don't know. Probably not, A switch is a lot cheaper. But for someone with a larger budget than me, it might be a good thing.

I do have a question, how low can I let it lug out to before I have to worry about transmission damage from to low of RPM? Right now on lockup it drops to about 1250RPM, is this to low? And if I gets slowed down for some reason, but not enough to unlock the TC it'll lug even more than that, it doesn't feel good to me but I want some opinions.

I personally don't like my engine getting below 1600rpm. Especially with my converter locked up. It lugs the engine to hard and the pressures in the tranny aren't built up enough to really create good holding power.

Great feedback! I was hoping that it would do something for the shift points too, I guess not. I was told that < 16-1800rpm in overdrive would wear the overdrive clutches quickly.

FWIW,
brandon.

joefarmer said:
Great feedback! I was hoping that it would do something for the shift points too, I guess not. I was told that < 16-1800rpm in overdrive would wear the overdrive clutches quickly.

FWIW,
brandon.

Does nothing for shift points.

Back