Trans/clutch/ or something is wrong

lbdodge24v

Alright my question is this. I have a 2002 Dodge Cummins with the NV5600 Trans. It has a dual disc clutch in it, and the hydraulic upgrade. The trans had gotten to where it would grind alot and wouldn't down shift, so I put the hydraulics on it. Well now for whatever reason from time to time when I get in the truck after it has been sitting over night, it feels like the brakes are locked when I try to back up or pull up when first moving it for that day, but it frees up and goes on. What could this be? Also today, I have been pulling a gooseneck around with 6 tons on it. I unload the trailer and head home, pull up to a redlight and push in the clutch pedal, everything feels good, start to let the clutch out in first gear and the truck acts like the brakes are locked and it wont go, just jumps, so i do the usual trick to get it going, and pull it out of first, let the clutch out in neutral and try again. But today with the truck in neutral, I let the clutch out and it trys to choke down, what the crap? So I press the clutch back in, and the truck comes back to normal idle, push it in first and decide it is going to move or break, start letting the clutch out and building rpms, and when it gets almost out truck jumps and hops like the brakes are locked, or the trans is bound up. Once all this is done and it rolls off, it shifts perfect all the way home. It does this whether I am pulling or just driving with no load, but does not do it on regularly, just now and then, but often enough to be a problem. My question is what is causing this?!? :doh:

Sorry for the post being so long, I hope that I explained this good enough that it is understandable. Thanks for any and all help on this one!

Tranny in neutral, yank the T case so you can lay hands on the output shaft. If it is engaging etc with the clutch, I'm inclined to think it's a tranny issue.

it should be good, but haven't gotten under there to check it yet, going to do that in a minute

:bang alright, don't know if I am just ticked at it or what, But I can not remember where to check the fluid level on this trans, point me in the right direction please?

Last edited:
On the 6 speeds they are notorious for burning up bearings. The fill plug was placed too low for proper lubrication of the bearings on the upper shaft of the tranny. I was told to fill the tranny up to the factory fill plug and then remove the shifter assembly from the top of the tranny and add 2 more qts and that should properly lubricate the bearings.

I am going to check and see what it has tomorrow, don't have anything to fit the plug right now.

I didn't have a 17 mm allen, so we are making a tool to take it out, lol. found a bolt that fit it perfect lol.

well if it is, it is done now, whats a good place to get a reman or get mine rebuilt? lol. May as well go ahead and ask that.

May wanna check the rear end too. My old dmax did the same thing you are describing until POP! I forgot what exactly broke in the diff but when it blew it put a big dent outward on the diff cover. The truck would still move, but it had a bad grinding noise.

I thought it might be something in the rear end also, but when I put the truck in neutral and it tried to choke down, that ruled out everything but the trans and the clutch in my opinion, I could be wrong. It is going to Pro Street Diesel tomorrow, we will find out what is wrong with it.

Back