Trans problem

travu25

So I have a built trans in my first gen. I guess not built enough haha. Well I was building boost at the line at a dirt drag and I got up to about 20 pounds which is where I always launch it. It just went boom I don't have anything P R 123 and it grinds when I try to put it in park. anyone expirenced this before? It has a billet ATS converter and flex plate redline clutches bands pump and a shift kit which out of the 3 shafts went. Thanks

Sounds Like what happened when we had a tail shaft snap. Drop the transfer case that'll tell you real fast.

Output if it was a shaft. Grinding is park pawl trying to engage while shaft hub is spinning.

and it grinds when I try to put it in park.
Been there, done that with my output shaft . . . .

72984008.jpg

0a9aa8df.jpg

It's the price you pay with higher boost sitting at/leaving the line. Be sure all the bearings and bushings are pristine as you don't want any alignment issues while twisting things up.

You might consider a billet/alloy shaft to reduce the chances of it occurring again.

Perfect haha that what my friend was saying don't leave to hard boost your gonna snap the output. And for the 518 teams do any of tall know a company that makes a converter with some stall so I can build boost because I'm killing my clutches and the teams isn't but 6 months old

I imagine most any well tooled trans shop could open it up and tighten the clearances. Spec-rite is one I read about often.

In a pinch, you can get a notable improvement by replacing the transmission fluid with a thicker generic tractor hydraulic fluid. Works good in my heap.

If you're "killing your clutches" while sitting at the line with boost, then you need to raise the hydraulic pressure(s) to keep them from slipping (if they aren't already toast). A different converter stall isn't going to fix that.

Last edited:
If you've snapped the input on an NP205, even a 23 spline one, you done well. :cool:

Mark.

I gotcha I'll talk to the trans shop about raising the pressure appreciate it everybody. I'll post the pics of destruction

BC847 led you in the right direction with the Slipping clutches while spooling up, it sounds like a line pressure issue. You could do the wire trick and pull the TV arm back into place so it's at a decent pressure full time, while playing.
You may need to ply with it so it doesn't delay shifts.
I run a Specrite and it seems about perfect for a fun truck.

Put a oil pressure gauge on trans line pressure port. You can run up to 100psi with the stock2nd gear band strut. Any more than that you may loose 2nd gear by bending strut. You can put in a billet strut by dropping valve body. Sutters right about the tv arm. I run the transgo orange line pressure spring. tractor fluid rocks.

So found out what the issue was.. It wasn't the output. It was the input of the transfer case and the rear seal on the output was missing and that it what didn't stop the metal shavings from going through the entire trans. It's up to the trans shop is the can find any kind of hardened shaft because idk if the make billet parts for that transfer

Back