Transfer Case Trouble... Ideas?

ISBand4BT

Well, finally hooked up my 4wd shift lever in my Dakota. I think that there is something wrong in the tcase. The guy I got it off of said that it was just rebuilt after having a tailshaft break.(didn't tell me that until tonight) and never ran it after it was rebuilt. What's goin on is, when I shift it into either 4HI or 4LO, it grinds and "jumps". It almost sounds as if you would have a trans half in gear and trying to drive around. Doesn't do it as bad at an idle, but once any power is given, it acts up.

Any and all ideas are helpful. I've never ran this transfer case in 4wd until tonight.

Sorry for the long post.

Sounds like the shifter linkage is to short and not allowing the case to fully engage when its all the way forward and all the way back

The linkage I made tonight isn't the problem. There is plenty of throw for transferring between the gears. Think it could be something inside that isn't letting it go?

To me it sounds like its not engaging. Did you try moving it with the linkage removed to see if the selector falls in the detents then drive it around?

Improper assembly or missing/worn parts. Transfer cases don't typically grind.

Last edited:
if it's a one piece tail shaft pull the case pop the plug on the top of the shaft. there is a snap ring in there spread it and at the same time pry towards the rear with a pry bar. when i swapped inputs mine did this but i was spinning it by hand. if the shaft isn't seated all the way on that snap ring it's to far forward and it doesn't let it engage all the way. spread and pry until you hear it click into place and the ring looks straight. spin it by hand and try again if it still grinds.

by pry i mean once you spread the ring put the pry bar in the grove and pry the shaft towards the rear of the case

if it's a one piece tail shaft pull the case pop the plug on the top of the shaft. there is a snap ring in there spread it and at the same time pry towards the rear with a pry bar. when i swapped inputs mine did this but i was spinning it by hand. if the shaft isn't seated all the way on that snap ring it's to far forward and it doesn't let it engage all the way. spread and pry until you hear it click into place and the ring looks straight. spin it by hand and try again if it still grinds.

by pry i mean once you spread the ring put the pry bar in the grove and pry the shaft towards the rear of the case

I'll try it n see what happens. i may end up taking it to my buddy's uncle n have him tear into it since he is good with transmissions n t-cases.

Back