transmission heat exchanger delete

kawi600

got Coal for Christmas
Any reason to keep the transmission heat exchanger, even in a colder climate?
I can make heat with this thing pretty easy with a loose converter, just put it in drive and hold the brake for a couple minutes.
Got a nice remote cooler with fans for it that im going to mount up under the bed for when im towing. Shouldnt suck much heat out of it until the fans come on since its out of the airstream when the truck is moving.
Can a transmission even get too cold? Suppose if it becomes an issue I can add a pan warmer to the trans and wire it up with the block heater.

This horse has been whipped to a pulp. *bdh*

I personally like it being there. The 2nd Gen unit is almost bullet proof. The only problems I've actually seen with them is where someone messes up a bung by not putting a wrench on both sides when loosening or tightening the lines. Now, if you live where the roads are paved with salt in the winter, I have heard of them rusting out.

Any particular reason you want to get rid of it?

Need room for twins. I got a nice derale remote cooler with fans thats plenty capable.
Dont mind keeping the OEM exchanger I guess.
BD diesel has a little kit they sell to relocate it to the radiator support area. Id probably try to stick it on the frame or something.
I spray the thing down with fluid film its all nasty as hell under there but it doesnt rust.

No reason to keep it if you're adding other coolers. My truck was a daily through 3 Michigan winters with the heat exchanger removed, never had any problems with it being too cold when I ran ATF+4.

No reason to keep it if you're adding other coolers. My truck was a daily through 3 Michigan winters with the heat exchanger removed, never had any problems with it being too cold when I ran ATF+4.

No fluid control thermostat? I’ll be deleting mine soon. Doubt I’ll have a problem with being to cold, just curious about yours.

No fluid control thermostat? I’ll be deleting mine soon. Doubt I’ll have a problem with being to cold, just curious about yours.

Nope, only time it acts up now is if it's below 20 and I don't let it warm up before taking off. That only started after switching to AW32, ATF+4 never gave me any trouble.

Back