Truck acting weird

Bruno2

OK here are my mods: 1996 F250 7.3 psd 4x4, ZF-5, 4:10 rear endsfresh overhaul , top and bottom end , D 66 turbo, swamps baby fuel regulated return, Rosewood stg II's 160 cc(dont know the nozzle size), DIY intake , aluminum intercooler , banks piping kit, cop 910 valve springs , ARP head studs and main studs, Wildman 6 pos.

I am still running stock oil 15° hpop

Today I was flipping through the tuner while I was in 1st gear and the rpms were getting tight. When I hit the extreme tune the motor gave off a crackle like drag cars do whenever they are floating valves . Then it back fired pretty good . I am assuming through the intake.The CEL came on. Then while the truck was in the economy mode it wouldnt hardly go and wasnt responsive at all to the throttle. So I went into the stock mode and the truck started to run normal , but , rough. Rough Idle also. Whenever I would approach 2400rpm the power would really drop off and start to shudder. I got to where I was going and shut it off and popped the hood. I noticed where the supply side of the turbo is clamped to the IC pipe there was oil coming out of the clamp like I blew that big O ring out of there. I havent hooked the AE scanner up to it yet or the HPO gauge to run any diagnostics yet.

The truck wasnt smoking any more than normal and the smoke was black and not any other color of the rainbow. According to my boost gauge I am still making boost , but , maybe 25- 30% less than normal.

Could just the turbo leak be causing the rough idle and shudder at the rpm mentioned or is this something maybe hpo related?

Your knowlege of the truck seems pretty good so I'll tread lightly...have you removed the intake tube to see if you lost a turbo. That may explain your lack of boost, black smoke and rough running. Sounds like my truck did when I lost my turbo.

The turbo seems to be fine. I am hearing some kind of ticking /chirping noise on the top end.

pull the valve covers and check lash on your top end. make sure you didn't break a valve for some reason

Back