truck dies when you put it in gear

wwm

TO MANY TRUCKS
My two boys have been tinkering with a 93 dodge cummins.
they have made a few mods. govener spring, ground down the fuel pin, larger injectors. The problem started when they were putting in a 3200rpm govenor spring they bent the full fuel \ power arm when putting the top back on the injector pump. I staightened the arm as best as possible. The truck starts but not as good as it use to, and when you put it in gear it really loads the motor up and then the truck will die. It almosts sounds like the transmisson is lugging the motor to much, pump out of time (but they did not take the pump off the motor) or the govenor is not responding correctly when put in gear, Any sugestion ??

Common mistake by many when doing a governor spring job. The fix is a $400 part and then a complete tear down and rebuild of the injection pump to install said part.

do yall think that it could be the tranny? like the clutches are not slipping enough, and how could we tell?

do yall think that it could be the tranny? like the clutches are not slipping enough, and how could we tell?
Did you have the same problem of the truck dieing once put in gear before the governor spring install? No, pump rebuild time, sorry.

Did idle drop when you put the pump back together? Try raising the idle a little bit to see if that changes anything. Try turning the fuel screw in to see if that changes anything. Cut a couple coils off the governor spring. Depending on where the lever is bent, you might be able to re-adjust it.

That lever assembly isn't worth its weight in gold, but it might be worth its weight in a low-grade silver depending on the day-to-day commodity fluctuations.

No we didnt have the problem before the spring installation, i will try turning the fuel power screw in a little more and see if that does anything.

It could be the injectors. I'm driving my dads truck right now and it does the same thing unless you get on the pedal as you put it in gear. It started doing it when we changed the injectors. His is a vp truck so it may not be the same thing but my brother (Lamiller) says its something with the popoff in the injectors being too low? You can pm him if you want he knows more about it.

i got the injectors pop tested at 3500 lb and saw that they are popping they didnt pop before but i had them fixed

Back