Truck is acting crazy please help!!

strokersmoker12

The 94 12 valve that i drive every day runs great whenever i drive it easy and stay off the throttle. But on the other hand when i get on it or put very much of a strain on the engine,towing,steep hills,etc it will begin to click from the engine and immediately loose all power,when i push in the clutch the engine dies and will only restart at full throttle. when the truck begins clicking from the engine bay the gas pedal becomes stiff and the throttle will stick. Then once i limp the truck home and it sits overnight,the next morning it will start up flawlessly and run great as long as i drive it really easy.Any input is greatly appreciated ,It has a brand new fuel filter and lift pump is approx, 6 months old.

Im guessing u mean a plunger in the injection pump?? any ideas on how to fix a sticking plunger do you just replace it.Thank you man any help is really appreciated im pretty new to the diesel world,Thanks again!!

I think he is talking about the plunger in the lift pump that is attatched to the back of the injection pump. I can h mine tick on some mornings but it goes away quick.

What you are describing is a faulty lift pump. The noise you are hearing is the plunger in the lift pump. You are loosing fuel pressure thats why you come to a stall.

What you are describing is a faulty lift pump. The noise you are hearing is the plunger in the lift pump. You are loosing fuel pressure thats why you come to a stall.

That doesn't explain the hard pedal? If it is in fact a sticking barrel try running a few quarts of 10W30 in the fuel and see if it will help.

On edit: tate is referring to the injector pump plunger, not the lift pump.

Last edited:
On edit: tate is referring to the injector pump plunger, not the lift pump.

Yes I was. Would explain the stuck/stiff pedal and the restart at full throttle (or what would seem like full throttle in a no load situation)

Ok the plunger in the injection pump is sticking,Whats next tear into the pump and replace the defective plunger? Thanks to everyone for the help and advice

Ok the plunger in the injection pump is sticking,Whats next tear into the pump and replace the defective plunger? Thanks to everyone for the help and advice

we are just providing an educated guess at the most, dont take our word as gospel. YOU need to figure out for sure what it is....the internet is NOT right all the time.

Pump shop should be contacted for plunger and barrel replacement, there are things way above our heads in these stupid pumps :huh::

My daily driver was doing the exact same thing pretty much word for word. I talk to a few pump shop Techs. and told them what was going on and they all said that it was in the plungers and rack. They said a film will build up on them and cause the pump to do all sorts of weird things. Haven't had them tear into to find out for sure but hope to find out soon.

run 1qt of atf in the fuel and see if it gets better thats what the local pump shop told me to do when i had a plunger sticking in my bobcat they said it should help free anything up that may be in there

Might as well run a whole gallon of ATF through it, get everything good and clean!

You could also try running 1 qt of 2 stroke oil per fill-up to limp along for the next few months while you figure out what direction you want to go with the truck.

Back