Truck shut down while driving down the road...

Immortl

In the middle of a road trip down to Boise, and the truck just shut down on me while doing 75mph south of Salmon, ID. And that was just one of the things to go wrong today...

Looking for ideas about what might be wrong. Truck has been running fine w/o any issues. All of a sudden the engine just shut down, fuel pressure dropped to 0, dash went dead. Coasted through some curves and pulled over to the shoulder when I could. When key is in Key On position, all appears normal now, but when trying to start, the digital display shows all hash marks and does not turn over, no starter engagement at all, just silence

Had the truck towed to local ford dealer in Salmon, ID right before they closed. They put a scanner on it but the scanner hung up when trying to talk with the computer. They're going to look into it further tomorrow.

I went back and checked battery and ground connections, all secure and clean. Headlights work fine, full brightness. When key is in the on position, the fuel pump does not appear to turn on (can't hear it and no fuel pressure builds).

Checked all fuses I could find (fuse box under steering wheel and in engine bay on the driver's side, they're all good). When trying to start I can hear the relays in the box in the engine bay click and there is some brief series of clicks from somewhere near driver side front of the engine block.

Anyone have any thoughts/suggestions? Trying to get to a friends wedding and only have a day or so to spare.

Thanks,
Joe

man that sucks, i would guess prolly just the computer. i'm not real familiar with the 6.0 yet. could even be a problem in the steering column with the ignition key and/or switch. when ya find out, let me know what it was. thats an intersting one. is there a way to crank them over by crossing a solenoid. if so give that try, just so you can verify that it is elctrical, and not a fuel problem.

Matt

Did they check the plugs on the PCM? its located on the fender wall next to the driver side battery, the battery needs to be removed.. Its possible that a plug cam loose. But almost sounds like the pcm shorted out, if this is the case i would check all wires for chaffing.. Hope you get back on the road soon if your not already

Thanks guys. I forgot to come back here earlier and put in an update.

Quick summary - the wiring harness for the fan clutch got caught in the fan and was ripped to shreds. The transmission range sensor wiring evidently passes through this harness as well. Without that reading (trans in park, neutral, 1,2,3,4, etc...) the computer would not let the truck even turn over. Once they replaced the fan clutch assembly though, the truck still wouldn't start. At that point I had been there for 2 days and had a wedding to get to so they tossed the keys to a loaner suburban at me and sent me on my way.

They figured it out the next day. A fuse (believe it was a fusable link somewhere) had blown (not in the fuse box under the dash nor in box on the driver's side of the engine compartment though because both they and I checked those several times). Once they fixed that and reset the computer they said she fired right up and passed all the tests.

I picked the truck up on my way back through Salmon, ID that Sunday and it's been running fine ever since. Man, I could never give up the diesel for a gasser.... I was extremely grateful for the suburban, but sure missed my truck.

thanks again,
Joe

Back