Tuning a VP?

tst pm3 and an edge ez. i had an edge juice w/attitude and it was just as smokey as the smarty was with smaller injectors. quadzilla is an option too.

he does.

Smarty on a vp is just an expensive code reader, (oh wait, they're coming out with something new for it really soon, they said so 6? years ago).

The bluechip fms (not redline) with an edge ez ran better for street and towing than anything else I ever had.

Like a few other guys are saying, find a different charger. If that 64 has a 71 or 74 turbine, your going to have to run high RPMs to keep the charger spooled and happy. It's all about turbo sizing on VP trucks cause there isn't a lot of adjustability like the CRs. I've ran probably 12 different turbo setups on my vp truck. Best setup I ever ran was a 62/65-12/475 with an external gate. Super fast spooling setup that always ran cool. I ran 240hp Mach7 injectors, A Hot Edge Juice, and also had a Smarty I would run sometimes. Truck was a 6spd on 35's at the time and I pulled 10-20k often. I have had good luck with the HE351's and 150hp injectors lately for towing my drag truck on my gooseneck, total weig is just shy of 21k.

Smarty on a vp is just an expensive code reader, (oh wait, they're coming out with something new for it really soon, they said so 6? years ago).

The bluechip fms (not redline) with an edge ez ran better for street and towing than anything else I ever had.
Guess I do have an ez on the back seat I could try. I'll think I'll try tweaking the smarty a little first, then probably throw the ez back on by itself.

Like a few other guys are saying, find a different charger. If that 64 has a 71 or 74 turbine, your going to have to run high RPMs to keep the charger spooled and happy. It's all about turbo sizing on VP trucks cause there isn't a lot of adjustability like the CRs. I've ran probably 12 different turbo setups on my vp truck. Best setup I ever ran was a 62/65-12/475 with an external gate. Super fast spooling setup that always ran cool. I ran 240hp Mach7 injectors, A Hot Edge Juice, and also had a Smarty I would run sometimes. Truck was a 6spd on 35's at the time and I pulled 10-20k often. I have had good luck with the HE351's and 150hp injectors lately for towing my drag truck on my gooseneck, total weig is just shy of 21k.
I have thought about a 351, but if I can save a little by using the .80 housing from my current turbo, I think I'd rather try a new 62/68 sxe.

Drove the truck to dinner with some friends tonight, had reset the smarty to level 4, with all the revo settings set to default. Definitely seemed cleaner, possibly a little better egts, but kinda hard to tell till I hook a trailer up. Think I'll leave it set like this for a little while, see how it does.

my 63 68 made a huge diff over a silver bullet..sounds like what you've got..slowed down the et but pulls a gross over 26k reg w/o too much over 1400 if you manage it with yer foot..smokey sum***** tho

I have thought about a 351, but if I can save a little by using the .80 housing from my current turbo, I think I'd rather try a new 62/68 sxe.

You'll only be able to use that housing with the same size turbine shaft. You'd be better off pulling that charger off, measuring it to determine the exact size, and selling or trading it out for something that suits the truck better. A wire tap box will make a huge improvement over just the Smarty also

a comp is a good power setup but it smokes so bad its undriveable most of the time. comes in hard like a rocket once yer spooled up but its a pig til the boost is up there.. ive got 7x010 vco inj with a schied hrvp. its a fair tradeoff if yer gonna tow heavy but its a vp truck...its gonna smoke

the cleanest running electronics i had run was tst comp/edge juice w/attitude untapped. it was stupid smokey when i ran the edge with a wire tap. this was with the same injectors and turbo. nothing changed other than the electronics.

Back