turbo problem?

jedeka

I have a 64/71/14 turbo that I changed from a gated to a non-gated housing. I fired up the truck and seems like the turbo doesn't spin as long as it did after shutting the engine off. When turning the exhaust wheel by hand, it seems to have a little resistance in one spot, when turning counter-clockwise. It is not noticeable when turning clockwise, the direction it spins. Should I take the exhaust housing off and do a visual inspection? I cannot hear any noises or feel any wheel to housing contact when turning by hand. Thanks.

I have a 64/71/14 turbo that I changed from a gated to a non-gated housing. I fired up the truck and seems like the turbo doesn't spin as long as it did after shutting the engine off. When turning the exhaust wheel by hand, it seems to have a little resistance in one spot, when turning counter-clockwise. It is not noticeable when turning clockwise, the direction it spins. Should I take the exhaust housing off and do a visual inspection? I cannot hear any noises or feel any wheel to housing contact when turning by hand. Thanks.

If it has a sticky spot...pull the housing off. It should spin freely. Might be something else, like one of the piston rings gummed up. This happens on occasion on the turbine side with all the soot.

Back