Turbo question please help

dan33klein

Hey guys, me and my buddy are in an argument about this, my problem is that I'm running between 900 and 1000* of egts cruising down the road. I'm running a generic eBay hx40 on top of a ht3b with a 23 cm housing. That generic turbo is really slow spooling let alone pulling that big turbo to. So I want to get a 62/65/12 for the top turbo. It will spool instantly and run the motor more efficiently. Before I put on the junk hx40 I had a 35/40 hybrid. Ad it ran right around 700* down on the road. So that turbo has to be the culprit. That 40 twinned up is just to slow and it's requiring so much fuel to keep it going down the road. Yielding high egts. My buddy says that 62/65/12 is a waste of money and will not help my cruising egts. What do you guys think. Please put in any ideas I need to get this settles

Stop dicking with those small turbine wheels. The top charger is air locked on both sides and is not of its own choosing when it comes to spool. Its spool is dependent on how well the primary feeds it and of course its sizing as well. Compounding efficiency is the balance between the two chargers. The scenario you're building the secondary wants to spin up quickly but has no air supply to work with so its lacking. The primary comes in later due to its size and lack of free flowing turbine energy from the secondary turbine section. In short the top turbo is trying to suck through the bottom one down low and the bottom is trying to blow through the top one higher up. Keep in mind when your primary does come up and now you're feeding the secondary the increased air load the smaller the secondary turbine is the less work it will do re pressurizing the primary air. Get a good charger with a bigger turbine wheel and be done with it.

what charger do you recomend? you think i need a 68mm exhaust wheel instea of a 65? what would be the benefits?

The 68 wheel is a substantial jump up in turbine flow than either of the Holset wheels or the 11 bladed 65 Borg wheel. Send me over an email to chris@engineereddiesel.com with all the details about the truck and how you plan to use it. Throw in the history of what you had on the truck for chargers and how the truck reacted to them both good and bad and we will get something worked up for you. Chris

Back