Turbos!

CBlack

Inquisitive
Long story short, I now work for the largest manufacturer of large frame chargers in the world. Not going to mention who just to CMA, but I was told numerous times that taking pictures was ok, as it's impossible to reverse engineer from a picture.

Anyway, I've taken some pics of our turbos over the past couple of months. They all go on high speed 4 stroke engines or low speed 2 stroke engines...fueled by either diesel or heavy fuel oil.

Here's a link to the the pics...

https://www.flickr.com/gp/127804709@N04/aBo61a

Questions...ask away.

Might have to trim the fenders and firewall just a tad!

I would won't to just make a flipping ceiling fan out of the billet one with the wd40 on top.

For reference... Our largest charger flows approximately 50 cubic meters per second. ;)

I'm surprised to see so much anti-clockwise stuff, and that hot side looks straight out of a turbine engine.

What kind of shaft speeds are the big ones running? Any multi-stage turbines, or all single stage?

Why is the turbine so small compared to the compressor?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Right, after all the time I just spent looking at an RR300, some of those looked awful familiar.

I was thinking you were talking BIG, like those ones in facebook pictures lol. Got a picture of the one that flows 50 cm^3/sec?

I was thinking you were talking BIG, like those ones in facebook pictures lol. Got a picture of the one that flows 50 cm^3/sec?

50 CC/sec?

sizeimage.php

I was tired, I meant cubic meters. He said earlier he has one that flows 50 cubic meters/sec. I want to see that. LOL

VNT turbine ?

OK, so VNT isn't something I remember...refresh my memory?

What kind of shaft speeds are the big ones running? Any multi-stage turbines, or all single stage?

The largest one spins at around 12k rpms. The "mid-size" spin around 65k rpms and the smaller ones are closer to 100k rpms.

Yes and no. The 6th and 7th picture show one of the largest made. It's an older model but still in service. There is a picture toward the end of my hand holding a turbine blade from the largest charger next to the turbine wheel of the one previously mentioned. Both flow similar numbers.

Didn't think about it previously... the first two pictures are of the shaft assembly of that larger charger pictured later.

Back