Unit Bearing

From what axle to what axle?

Am I correct in thinking the smaller wheels will not clear?

Actually I take that back. I think I was thinking that the late model 2nd gen with the funky ball joints will convert to 3rd gen brakes.

I was incorrect before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The unit bearings really aren't all that terrible. For what it's worth, most of the guys at Carli Suspension are running the OEM unit bearings. They absolutely pound on their trucks and the bearings last quite a while.

The unit bearings are, in fact, serviceable/greaseable. If the truck has ABS, remove the wheel speed sensor and pump some grease into the cavity while rotating the hub assembly.

Ok.. If you get the 2013 brakes to work.. we gotta talk.
And you may find several other people interested in your work!

Any idea what the fluid volume is on the stock brake master versus the 2013 master? You will probably need to know that. With a pad that size I bet theres a lot more fluid behind it.
I know on motorcycle brakes if you mismatch master cyl with caliper you can wind up with an on-off switch thats an instant faceplant.

Last edited:
Looks to me like hes fabricating relocation brackets. I have a suspicion a master cyl transplant might be needed also. Would still be worth it to upgrade these crummy brakes. I made a sub-compact out of some poor guys car a few years ago due to the brakes on this thing I will never forget it.

Last edited:
The hub need very little machining. I did it with an angle grinder to make the rotor to slide on.

The only thing left that's holding me back right now that I need to come up with a way to make the caliper bracket to be bolted on. It's bolt spacing is a little off and needs a spacer. I want to make sure I have it modified properly. I don't want to find out my caliper have disappeared. I'm building it in a way that no modifications needed on any wear parts, so as it wear out, it'll be just another simple brake job. Even better that it's rotors will be slide on which no time loss on wheel studs!

2009+ Ram calipers are 10.6% larger than 94-99 Ram 2500s, or 11.6% larger than 95-97 F350s. Yes the 94-99's single piston calipers have more surface area than the dual piston caliper found on 95-97 F350s.

I'll look into the master cylinder thing later whenever I figured out the caliper, bracket, rotor, and brake hose.

Ive seen some people drill a hole into the unit hub and put a grease zerk on there. Id try it except I dont want to drill into the bearing race itself.
Maybe next time one implodes Ill take some measurements.

Be careful to use the appropriate lube. I know conventional grease is incompatible (gli2) and causes the paraphin (sp) to break down

Any update on your brake mod?
I might try to source some junkyard bits and give this a go myself.

I did a little more research on the master cyl. The piston is a different diameter and Im guessing the brake pedal has a different throw length. But its on a hydro boost so a larger piston isnt that bad.

Last edited:
Back