Vacuum pump gear?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!!

smokin247

my gears ate themselves 2 years ago.. I took my truck off the road built it up with compounds, took them off sold most of it, went to a single. I've done everything minus head work and bottom end work. And now the only thing stopping me from finishing it is replacing the vacuum pump gear...
I cant get it to move for anything!!!!!! I'm an industrial mechanic, welder/ fabricator and i cant come up with anything else to try... Has anyone actually removed the gear from the vacuum pump? I have a brand new gear and they are just pressed on but they dont come off. I havent found a single piece of information on the internet about removing it. I'm about to buy a new pump just to have a new gear!!! I'm so fed up with this truck i dont even want to work on it anymore.
Someone please help!!!!:banghead:

The gear doesn't come off... its reverse tapered. I think you need to buy the whole setup again.

Disclaimer: I'm probably not correct.

I have a brand new pump gear it doesn't look tapered. I'll measure it when I get home. I assume the shaft is threaded to press the gear on, but I might be wrong.

I have a brand new pump gear it doesn't look tapered. I'll measure it when I get home. I assume the shaft is threaded to press the gear on, but I might be wrong.

If it turns out it isn't tapered, I'm assuming you've tried heat.

Yeah. My next idea is to break it loose from the power steering pump and make a set up to work on the press at work. I thought it would be way easier than this haha.

Put in the press it will come out , if that doesn't work napa has one with the gear on it

I tried a 3 jaw puller with heat and it wouldn't budge. I'll probably take it into work and press it off. Good to hear it actually comes off. How did you press it back on?

Back