Valet switch question

Cummins Driver

THE Cummins Driver
I run a valet switch on my truck, and use it most of the time. What I dont understand though, is that the truck runs noticeably better at 3/4 throttle in valet mode, than at full throttle. If i have it at full throttle, then let out of it to about 3/4 throttle, boost goes from about 26psi to 30psi, and you can tell it gains some decent power. Why is this? When im in full power with the valet switch, it seems to be normal, in that the more you push the pedal, the more power you have. Any ideas on why it would be doing this?

Eric

The valet switch, when in valet mode, cuts the boost signal to the AFC off. In doing that, the AFC foot never gets told to move out of the way and allow the governor arm to follow the profile of the plate. So I would think there would come a point in the RPM range where your pedal input is asking for more fuel, but the governor can't allow the rack to provide it. So anything beyond the limits of the fueling allowed by the restricted travel of the governor arm is not going to provide any more power, at best. But I'm truly a noobie just beginning to learn about this stuff.

Back