valvetrain and freeze plug questions

high line

How much piston to valve clearence do in need?

Is a bronze cam thrust plate a good upgrade?

Im gonna run billet oring freeze plugs on side and a bypass plug in rear of block. Should i worry about popping front plug? Im gonna run be running a belt.

Question#1= It depends on what you have done to your motor. Have you had the block decked, and or the head decked. What cam are you going to run. Do you need flycuts on your pistons for your cam?

Question#2 Yes , a bronze cam thrust is a great idea.

Question#3 Billet freeze plugs are allways a good idea. The front freeze plug is behind your fan hub. It does not blow out. It can't with a fan hub over it.

I have the tools to check the clearence. Im thinking .080 for both valves. I did some math, checked lifter lift and had a degree wheel on engine. The closest was .025 on intake. When head gets back from machine shop. I can mock it up with light checker springs and get a true clearence. Im sure pistons will need to be cut. The cam is greg houge grind. The block was cut .007, not sure how much machine shop will take off of head . Valves were .055 deep in head. Pistons were .020 over top of deck. Does the bronze thrust wear out fast? The engine had no fan, alt or head on it when i got it.

Last edited:
we usually check valve to piston with no lash and if possible (not on a positive deck height piston of course) no head gasket. we like to see a minimum of .050 on intake and .075 exhaust like that. and about .100 intake and .125 exhaust with a head gasket on. some will push tighter and they can be but those are safe numbers.

Back