Welding drive coupler for waterman fuel pump

getblown5.9

Ceritified Kleenex Dealer
What is the recommended method of welding the drive coupling on a vacuum pump gear for a waterman or other mechanical fuel pump? I've seen where some people MIG them, so I did just that. I tacked it in 4 spots, checked it for alignment and it was straight, so i burned it on by alternating sides and stitching it til it was welded all the way.

Let it cool, and now its not straight by a few thousandths. I slid the pump on and spun the gear and the pump will wobble up and down enough that if I ran it like that it would wipe the pump seals/bearings, or crack the front cover.

So anyway, I am getting a new coupler and vacuum pump and going to try again. Is it best to TIG it and keep the heat down?

Also, why does that little chunk of metal cost so damn much anyway? LOL

I pre heated it a little, then used the TIG welder and tacked it, checked it for straightness then welded it with the tig. then gave it more heat. let it sit and air cool. and it seems good.

I just used a love joy coupling, they are cheap and available from most implement dealers.

I think I am going to get a 3/8 impact socket in 1/2" drive with the heavy wall and have it TIG welded on. I can get the sockets for $4-8 locally rather than $70 and wait for it to ship from the midwest.

The bolt on keating coupler is around $40 I believe. And it centers perfectly and fits tight on the power steering pump snout.

Attachments

• IMG_3887.jpg
    IMG_3887.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
^x2 on the keating drive, they go for like $40 and they bolt on. I sent him my vacuum pump and he drilled and tapped it for me for $25! Couldnt beat that

The bolt on keating coupler is around $40 I believe. And it centers perfectly and fits tight on the power steering pump snout.

Called him Monday, but he said on the 98-02 style like my vacuum pump, the gears are extremely hard and he has never had any luck with drilling and tapping it. I wish I could tho, I would rather drill and tap than weld it on.

Called him Monday, but he said on the 98-02 style like my vacuum pump, the gears are extremely hard and he has never had any luck with drilling and tapping it. I wish I could tho, I would rather drill and tap than weld it on.

lol, He got them mixed up then, it's the 12v gears that are hard. We just drilled and tapped a 98-02 model and the metal is actually soft.

if thats true then you just made my day. thanks! only bad thing is he said he was 2-3 weeks away from making another batch of them.

Did you have to trim or cut down the snout that sticks out. I had to trim mine to put the weld on coupler on, and I am getting another vacuum pump today off a 99 so i will see what the snout is like on that one.

Last edited:
It's true, I'm not trying to lead anyone astray. Yes, you have to cut it down on the keating one.

Back