Welding Education

SHughes

Too much is never enough!
So, I'm tired of sitting behind a desk and still have several years of it to go. Therefore I am using my Post 9/11 GI Bill to get educated in something much more practical than Airborne Radio Systems...Welding.

I've always enjoyed it no matter how bad I am at it. :doh:

However, while I wait for the gubmint to pay me, I need a couple of books I can't quite afford at the moment...those who know me know why. Plus I am taking an art class to finish my bachelors degree (I know none of you have that $120 book!!) LOL

If anyone has these two books I need, that could allow me to borrow, before class begins next week, it would be greatly appreciated. Once the GI Bill pays me, I'll get my own. I just don't want to show up to class empty handed. LOL

I need the following:

1. "Welding Print Reading" from Goodheart-Wilcox
2. "Symbols for Welding - A programmed Learning Course" from Hobart

And hopefully the GI Bills pays out before the next class where I need more equipment than I currently own.:Cheer:

Thanks guys!!!

The basic program results in an AS in Welding Technology...whoopty-do. But you can also get a cert in manufacturing, structural or pipe as well as TIG, MIG or stick. I'll pursue the pipe cert first, and that largely covers the TIG as well...so a degree and two certs is the basic plan, as long I don't get stationed somewhere else before I can finish something. LOL

All in all, when I retire form 20+ years of military service I will have a healthy resume' to include some lean/six sigma green belt experience, welding certs, and an MBA...so I should be able to find a job somewhere.

I might have the blueprint one... Damnit I'm packed to move. I'll see if I can find it.

Nevermind. I don't know where it's at. I have welding principles and applications though. Let me know if you ever need it. TIG is fun. Pipe welding is the most boring, repetitive, pain in the ass to do but man you can make some money doing it. I never even pursued it though. I welded my first pipe fitting and I was like pfffffff phuck that. They can keep their hundred bucks and hour.

Last edited:
565a3770d0d4404b2794f8ac21dcbf21.jpg

Those are what i need. And that would be kool since its the more spendy one. but dont go out of your way. Monving is a *****.

So, I'm tired of sitting behind a desk and still have several years of it to go. Therefore I am using my Post 9/11 GI Bill to get educated in something much more practical than Airborne Radio Systems...Welding.

I've always enjoyed it no matter how bad I am at it. :doh:

However, while I wait for the gubmint to pay me, I need a couple of books I can't quite afford at the moment...those who know me know why. Plus I am taking an art class to finish my bachelors degree (I know none of you have that $120 book!!) LOL

If anyone has these two books I need, that could allow me to borrow, before class begins next week, it would be greatly appreciated. Once the GI Bill pays me, I'll get my own. I just don't want to show up to class empty handed. LOL

I need the following:

1. "Welding Print Reading" from Goodheart-Wilcox
2. "Symbols for Welding - A programmed Learning Course" from Hobart

And hopefully the GI Bills pays out before the next class where I need more equipment than I currently own.:Cheer:

Thanks guys!!!

You may want to take a look at machinerys handbook as well if you can get your hands on one. It covers a lot of welding symbol definitions as well as engineering drawing interpretation. I'm an engineer, so I use it quite a bit for weld designation symbols on drawings and find it very handy. It won't make any difference which version you get either, not much has changed in those departments over the years.

I doubt that you'll need it, but if you ever want any help with anything shoot me a PM and I'll be happy to lend a hand.

Wow, those are big books. I've been making prints and reading them for a while, and I didn't know there was enough on the subject of prints to warrant those two books!
I guess that's just how schooling goes though.

Good luck in the new career! I bet you're going to like it.

Something tells me that a six week course will be a stretch. LOL

And I will see about some machinery books as well...not to high jack my own thread, but in a Utopian world I'd be a machinist and engine builder.

image.jpg
This is a good book to own that has lots of particular measurements and cut angles.

Last edited:
image.jpg
This book here is the one we used when I was in school 9 years ago, it's a good one also. It also has questions at the end of each section to make sure you did pay attention. In the years since school I have only refered back to this book a couple times, but those times make a book of such invaluable.

I went to Hobart. I will see if I can dig up some of my books.

That IPT book is the 'instructor' version, good for school. They make smaller ones with all the same info, just no questions for on-site info. Like was said, you don't need them often, but they come in handy. I keep the rigging book in my lunch bag for that reason.

My birthday is Saturday, so a buddy got both books for me.

Back