Welding on turbo housings?

9 LIVES

Demolition Expert
What is the best process to use for welding a V band flange onto a compressor housing of a turbo? Not 100% sure of what metal they are made out of so I figured I better find out before trail and error.:evil

What is the best process to use for welding a V band flange onto a compressor housing of a turbo? Not 100% sure of what metal they are made out of so I figured I better find out before trail and error.:evil

Professionally!

Thinking about doing the same thing if I ever get around to making my own twins. But, damn, welding cast aluminum sucks!!

Welding cast aluminum sucks! Is there an echo in here?
Unless your really good I would have it done by someone who is.

Oh trust me im no expert....I can tig mild steel but hell no to aluminum.

I will find someone to do it I was just curious.

You have to change the gas on aluminum or it'll look like cigerette ashes.
TIG 100% argon on aluminum and get a thoroated(spelling?) electrode...weld on straight AC.
You can find some stock gasser cast aluminum at the boneyards and like you hear to death...practice-practice.

Argon with 2% thoriated tungsten and filler rod suitable for 6061 will work fine; even though helium cleans better, it makes the flame hotter (not required on small pieces).

Argon with 2% thoriated tungsten and filler rod suitable for 6061 will work fine; even though helium cleans better, it makes the flame hotter (not required on small pieces).

Thats why its called HELI-arc.:Cheer:

Ive tig welder cast aluminum before with 5356 filler rod, but if your weld area is not 100% clean it wont stick and its a pain in the arse to get the perfect heat. It sucks period welding anything cast aluminum.

Shouldn't have a problem. It's when they are in oil alot that they are a pain. Aluminum heads, motorcycle side covers and such seem to soak up the oil and it makes welding a pain. Clean it with acetone after a good brushing with a stainless steel brush. Don't forget to change your settings on the machine.

Even raw castings hold plenty of funk in the pores - several hours of TIG'ing that & the fumes get to ya... :Throwup:

Hey Ron if ya want to have some fun in the shop give a guy a magnesium alloy oil pan to TIG but pretend it's aluminum - don't tell him 'til after the first weld cools ( !CRACK! )... hopefully he brought extra shorts to work! :eek:wned:

I've never done magnesium. I do titanium once in a while(it's cake), but all of our product line is made out of stainless steel. Nice clean, sit on your butt welding on top of a table stuff. I welded on a BW compressor cover recently. Layed in on the pre-heat table for about a half hour after a good brushing, welded pretty easy. Wish I was better at it though.

I have welded many housings with no issue. When welding aluminum you cant be clean enough.

I haven't welded on any turbo housings yet, but I have welded on alot of banshee engine cases do to the fact that if the engine backfires and trys to run backwards it catches the starter dogs and poof instant hole. I always to wash the parts in a bath that has a small amount of acid in it and then I wash the part in acetone and I keep my fingers off of it. I use 100% tunsten as I don't like 2% as much and 100% argon. I really like welding on alum if its clean as it flows really well.

Back