Welding wastegate?

carcrafter22

Would it be ok to weld the factory wastegate on a 2003 HY35 with a lincoln 225 welder and a nickel rod? If not what would you recomend? I know I should heat the housing to 400* then weld it. Oh I should say I have never welded cast. :doh:

got any cast to practice on? welding cast can be a bit tricky at first and secondly whats the reason for welding the gate? ive never heard of someone doing this?

tig it w/ stainless rod.

you dont need to actually weld the wastegate, just cut the actuator arm, and weld it to the housing with the gate clamped shut.

typically turbine housings are not grey iron, they are a type of nodular cast iron or ductile iron, there is enough carbon in the metallurgy to make a good weld.
Same goes for exhaust manifolds.

But I agree only the wast gate actuator arm need to be fixed. or you could replace the actuator assemble with a fixed adjustment rod.

welding it to the mild steel pin with stainless rod works great, ive done it a bunch of times for people running external gates.

Ah very interesting folks. Do you think I should take it somewhere and have them tig weld it in place or should I just try it myself? I could get some stainless rod for my 225 lincoln stick welder to try it with. Any special kind of stainless rod to use? I was under the assumption I had to use nickel but then again I have never welded on something like this so I appreciate all the help. I just dont want anything to crack and fall off into the piping and go into my new primary turbo.

Here is a pic of what I am working with and why I want to weld the factory wastegate (note the external gate)

Thanks again everyone
Randy

just fab a rod to hold it shut, why permanently modify it? You may wish you had not welded it one day. If you still chose to weld it, a MIG welder will work fine.

No way to fab a rod to hold it shut without making things look really ugly, I rotated the compressor housing so its not gonna work.

Something like that Id just use whatever welding rod was closest. It just needs a good tack really.

I think Im just over thinking this or making too big of a deal about it. I just dont want to be crusiing down the road and anything fly off and go into the hx52 or if I just tack the rod outside I could kill the spoolup if te weld breaks. I will try just welding the outside anyway though.

I was thinking I really needed to fully weld the round wastegate cover inside the housing so nothing leaked. I guess its not that big of a deal since it should seal good on its own.

Thanks everyone.
Randy

if your worred about that
just hammer the wastegate actuator lever down and weld that to the housing, that way worst it can only flap open if the weld breaks.

Back