What are signs of a bad VGT solenoid ?

snowbound

VGT-ss turbo , new boots and new tunes from Eric. I can't get the truck to boost or make power like I think it should. I was making 35psi and popping boots off before the new tunes and pulling the VGT solenoid. It looked clean , no black pieces , and was free to function by hand. Now the truck is doggy and I can't break 30.( street , race or stock tuning ) Should I try the old 03 solenoid or should I look elsewhere for the problem? There are no boost leaks as far as I can tell.

What oil feed is on your turbo? There is an updated hard tube to replace the one with the braided line. They are known to come apart internally and clog the solenoid.

Stock one yet , upgrade was ordered 10 days ago. I'm gonna unplug it and see what it does.

Unplugged I have virtually no power. When plugged back in you can hear it start sucking air instantly. Seems the solenoid is working.

check for leaks at the ex. housing connection also. Those up-pipes are a PITA and a slight leak before the turbo will cause issues but it would also be very smokey.

Did that when I put the VGT-SS on. Turns out the upgraded oil drain tube wasn't giving me enough movement to align it properly. Fought with it for days.

But I do appreciate you trying ! Is there a possibility the oil feed line left some pieces and when the solenoid came out , they got pushed in when it was replaced ?

Its possible. But if the tune is getting some sort of actuation out of it. Then it just might need the solenoid it came with.

The solenoid that is on the turbo, "IS" the one that was on the turbo.

How much boost are you seeing now?

I re-installed DJ's street tune. Launched way harder and pulled hard but still only 30 ish. It was making more before I pulled the solenoid to check for crud. I'll swap it out for my 03 to check it. I'm sure my kids have something to do with this !

The 2 solenoids have different numbers ?! Installed upgraded oil feed line as well , I'll be right back. . . .

Back