What is a 2.8 DDC/VM out of a Liberty worth?

Chris Mallett

12ver Swap Idiot
As the title says, I have a 2.8 out of an 05 Liberty with 48k on it, had a fire in the cabin so the engine was removed. Has been sitting for about 8 months but still rolls over easily, mostly sealed but many sensors broken and tops of injectors are broken. Can this be used as a swap or is there any demand for these? The most I can find on these is either liberty engines or Mercruiser inboard setups.

Apparently they are worth gold. If you do a search of the junk yards nation wide, there is only 5 available.

Yeah Glenn, I have had a problem finding any. That is why I asked here.

Well it might be gold, it might be there is no demand either. I believe they are a pretty robust engine. Also 5 engines may be plenty as it was a limited run.
Of course to a local guy that needs one it might be worth more than platinum.

Sit on it long enough and I am sure you can get a good price.

Well it might be gold, it might be there is no demand either. I believe they are a pretty robust engine. Also 5 engines may be plenty as it was a limited run.
Of course to a local guy that needs one it might be worth more than platinum.

Sit on it long enough and I am sure you can get a good price.

That was just the case a couple weeks ago a local shop called looking for one. The jeep they were working on stuck an injector and put a rod thru the block. The insurance company ended up totaling the jeep because of the cost of a used motor.

You can should upgrade from that 2.8L to a 3.0L Merc engine. I'll sell you the one out of my wife's Jeep Grand Cherokee for the low price of $25,000. Heck, I'd probably throw in the whole Jeep, 61,000 miles and all!

Add a tune from Inmotion or Green Diesel Engineering and you'd be running high 14's in the wife's 4x4 grocery getter.

Back