What is the reason for no mudflaps below fenderline in many pulling rules?

Leadfoot

Here to learn
I understand not allowing custom made dirt deflectors that hang super low and are angled to divert loose dirt from the front tires from being thrown into the path of the rear tires and deflecting the dirt from the rear tires so it does not pile up in front of the buckboard (or on the buckboard for those really tacky tracks).

Some places will not allow a stock OEM mudflap or a straight hanging diamond plate mudflap (such as the ones many bought from DEE-ZEE), even if they are hung appropriately. Is there a reason for that? Has anyone been disqualified for them or had to rip them off their trucks to compete? Again I can see if they were hung in a way to divert dirt to the side, but why outlaw a straight hanging OEM (or OEM equivalent mudflap), if nothing else they help save the paint and deflect any debris in the track. We had a truck last year wipe out the front glass of the Decision Maker (Maroon) pulling sled after it threw a small stone. It stopped the show for over an hour because the operator could not operate without protection.

I know not all classes or organization have that rule, but this is posed for those that do.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I understand not allowing custom made dirt deflectors that hang super low and are angled to divert loose dirt from the front tires from being thrown into the path of the rear tires and deflecting the dirt from the rear tires so it does not pile up in front of the buckboard (or on the buckboard for those really tacky tracks).

Some places will not allow a stock OEM mudflap or a straight hanging diamond plate mudflap (such as the ones many bought from DEE-ZEE), even if they are hung appropriately. Is there a reason for that? Has anyone been disqualified for them or had to rip them off their trucks to compete? Again I can see if they were hung in a way to divert dirt to the side, but why outlaw a straight hanging OEM (or OEM equivalent mudflap), if nothing else they help save the paint and deflect any debris in the track. We had a truck last year wipe out the front glass of the Decision Maker (Maroon) pulling sled after it threw a small stone. It stopped the show for over an hour because the operator could not operate without protection.

I know not all classes or organization have that rule, but this is posed for those that do.

Thoughts?

Im curious as well, lets see what guys have to say. Im kinda thinking you will be fine for the 20th.

Could be because they could catch dirt and mud and effectively increase the weight of the truck. Just one reason anyways. Back in the day I remember when trucks would have to weigh right after pulling and they would give a percentage over for added mud and dirt from the track.

Never heard of this rule but i have big mud flaps on my truck and never been told cant run them

The straight long flaps stops the dirt from building up in front of the sled. It causes the dirt to drop straight down and allows the pan to ride over it

Last edited:
Same reason why a lot of the gas trucks run step beds... Those fenders catch a lot of dirt that would otherwise collect in front of the sled... Or so I've been told.

Does it really help? Maybe on loose but stick clay tracks (nearly muddy) where it'll actually stick to something) but not on hard packed dirt or really loose dirt that's not tacky. IMO it's a mute point.

A little better pic and the "fix" so we could finish the show.

Attachments

• broke.jpg
    broke.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 0
  • sled fix.jpg
    sled fix.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 0
Im curious as well, lets see what guys have to say. Im kinda thinking you will be fine for the 20th.

Well I bent the $hit out of my OEM hitch on my towing vehicle (it actually doesn't look that bad in the pic, but it is). I ordered a stout replacement from BIGCHEVYHITCH.COM as he is a big supporter and I know guys who use his hitch for pulling. If I don't get to installing it in time it won't matter (I don't want to trust this one for the 6hr round trip).

Attachments

• bent hitch.jpg
    bent hitch.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 0
Well I bent the $hit out of my OEM hitch on my towing vehicle (it actually doesn't look that bad in the pic, but it is). I ordered a stout replacement from BIGCHEVYHITCH.COM as he is a big supporter and I know guys who use his hitch for pulling. If I don't get to installing it in time it won't matter (I don't want to trust this one for the 6hr round trip).

Ha, i ran mine bent like that for most of a pulling season and all winter long towing all sorts of stuff.

That big chevy hitch looks nice, i replaced mine with a buyers products class V almost 2 years ago and so far its been great. It was inexpensive and pretty solid.

Im afraid the weather isn't going to hold for this weekends pull anyhow. If it does, hopefully we see some of your mass and CT guys this weekend.

Im afraid the weather isn't going to hold for this weekends pull anyhow. If it does, hopefully we see some of your mass and CT guys this weekend.

I hope to come up and watch/help out this weekend, I popped the head gasket in mine finally a few weeks ago so I'm just going to start tearing it down for next season. :rockwoot:

Back