what lift pump guys?

Smoker17

sPoolinfOol
I can pay the dealership 700+ to install an aftermarket intake lift pump, or get the truck back and put in a stock "on the side of the block" lift pump in or find an aftermarket sweet one.

what do you suggest?

what are yall runnin?

Maybe a fass single or a whole fass system?

i was thinking of a FASS 95GPH High Performance Fuel Pump?
tia,

smoker

Last edited:
Mine's not a Cummins...but I couldn't be happier with my FASS 150/180

I threw in a Glacier Diesel 392 performance lift pump kit about 3 weeks ago now and love it.
Paid about $350, spent 2 hours installing it and run consistently at 17-18 psi fuel pressure.
I know a couple of the site sponsors, Ultimate Diesel and New Era at least are dealers, too!

FASS BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Get one bigger than you think you need, nothing worse than having to buy something twice because you bought to small.

dan

Last edited:
I really dont have the cash for a full fass sytem but i have been looking at a fass high performance fuel pump (95 gph) its about 439$, i should look at the glacier too, will the high output fuel pump hurt my injector pump? make it work harder? or will it make it easier on the injector pump?

FASS, it is an awesome pump, 19 lbs all the time. If you are going to spend $700 on a stock pump at the dealer? A FASS is cheaper then that and you don't have a stock pump that will go out again$.02 :Cheer:

haz-mat19 said:
FASS, it is an awesome pump, 19 lbs all the time. If you are going to spend $700 on a stock pump at the dealer? A FASS is cheaper then that and you don't have a stock pump that will go out again$.02 :Cheer:

where can i get one for under 700? I found em for 607$ the glacier one is 330$

Well if you don't want to spend the money on the whole system, then the pumps by themselve are really nice too. My friend has the stand alone pump and he likes it. Just depends on if you want the water separator and filter or not. There are vendors on here that sell them, I am sure they can help you out. ANything is better then stock.

OK, couple different routes you can take here, all dependent upon your mechanical ablility.

Buy a FASS, or Glacier, or Bullydog or Joe Blow's brand X kit, you will get everything you need plus instructions to hold while doing it, all you have to do is follow them and your golden.

OR....

You can build your own system, the cheapest and easiest way I have seen is mounting a Holley Blue on the frame rail right in front of the fuel tank, cut the supply line, mount the pump and use 3/8 fuel hose with hose clamps to hook it all together, about $150 total for parts. Aeromotive has a smaller pump on the lines of a Holley blue for about the same cost, should be a touch better pump, I have replaced 3 Holleys, jgendr has replaced none in the same time frame.

One other thing to look at, what are you going to do with the truck later on?? Do you plan to mod it?? Light or heavy?? Go ahead and build your fuel system to take it now, FWIW, a Holley seems to be able to support about 400HP pretty well, has on my truck for 2 years now, but I am going to build another system as soon as some spare cash is available.

Billysgoat said:
OK, couple different routes you can take here, all dependent upon your mechanical ablility.

Buy a FASS, or Glacier, or Bullydog or Joe Blow's brand X kit, you will get everything you need plus instructions to hold while doing it, all you have to do is follow them and your golden.

OR....

You can build your own system, the cheapest and easiest way I have seen is mounting a Holley Blue on the frame rail right in front of the fuel tank, cut the supply line, mount the pump and use 3/8 fuel hose with hose clamps to hook it all together, about $150 total for parts. Aeromotive has a smaller pump on the lines of a Holley blue for about the same cost, should be a touch better pump, I have replaced 3 Holleys, jgendr has replaced none in the same time frame.

One other thing to look at, what are you going to do with the truck later on?? Do you plan to mod it?? Light or heavy?? Go ahead and build your fuel system to take it now, FWIW, a Holley seems to be able to support about 400HP pretty well, has on my truck for 2 years now, but I am going to build another system as soon as some spare cash is available.

I plan to mod the **** out of it later, once i get the auto upgraded, I think I'm gonna look at a fass system thanks boys, what do yall reccomend as far as gph's? 95/150?,150/150, 95/95, 150/95 etc.. someday id like to be pushin over 600hp, but thats when stff is all upgraded, can the fast hurt anything if its pushing alot of fuel?

Last edited:
Smoker17 said:
...can the fast hurt anything if its pushing alot of fuel?

The FASS (not the stand alone pump) returns fuel back to the tank...once it builds pressure, all the excess fuel is returned to the tank...and the pressure is adjustable by changing springs under the return line's fitting...I believe there are three springs 12, 15, and 25psi (for the FASS 95/150 and 150/150).

I have a 95/150 on my stock truck, and I have heard them recommend the 150/150 if you want to upgrade...the high pressure FASS seem to be more for the CP3 trucks, since the VP44 sometimes doesn't like too much input pressure...IIRC, they are capable of upwards of 45psi.

My FASS is one of the first internal brush models that was intro'd in late 2005. I have over 50k on it to date and only had to dial the pressure in to get it set right. After seeing what the FASS captures (dirt), it is no wonder the OE pumps don't live very long.

If you do decide to build your own system, make sure to run a FF5079 or WIX 33270 "strainer" betrween the tank and the pump to catch the big stuff...

steved

I'm a cheap arse. I spent $135 with Vulcan and moved my factory lift pump back by the tank and ran the big line 1/2 hose to the filter and to the VP44. Granted, when you heavily mod later, you'll need an upgrade, but you already have all the banjo fittings gone and 1/2 hose ran so you can just swap the pump for a FASS or what ever later and everything is there. Numbers are 16 idle, 13-14 normal driving, and 10-11 WOT on level 5-5 with 50K miles on a stock lift pump. It took me about an hour or two to install and was very easy to do. Think about it. You will need to put the big line kit on in the end anyway (IMO) so do it now and add the pump when you can afford it. You'll get more performance out of your stock pump, at least until it crashes....and it will someday.

Why did I just know that Smokem was going to be his ever helpful self and post a link????? LOL LOL Thanks W :D

If you are going to mod the snot out of it later, by all means get a FASS, good setup for it.

BUT.......

If you do have a DRT injection pump you are looking at over $2000 in money about to be spent for an IP and a fuel system, my free advice (worth what you pay for it LOL ) is to get the relocation kit like Jory did, put a Holley blue in place of the stock LP and get the truck back on the road. If the IP is dead you won't be out as much cash for right now and can plan for what pump/filter you want to use later. With the pump located in front of the tank it will be good up to about 425HP or so, that's a box, set of injectors, turbo and tranny away right now, and about $6500-7000 away as well. Just something to think about for the financially challenged (like me LOL ). If you have the spare change though, now is indeed the time to build a good fuel system.

Smoker17 said:
I really dont have the cash for a full fass sytem but i have been looking at a fass high performance fuel pump (95 gph) its about 439$, i should look at the glacier too, will the high output fuel pump hurt my injector pump? make it work harder? or will it make it easier on the injector pump?
Either the FASS HPFP or the Glacier (Walbro pump) will serve you well. As long as you are not making crazy HP. The fuel pressure max for the VP44 is around 15-17 psi I think. The FASS system is not really needed unless you want to eliminate the stock filter. A good Fleetguard filter will be just fine without the FASS system. In short, go with either kit, be sure the pressure at idle is less than 17 psi, and forget about it.

Back