What radius on 180 deg mandrel bend for "sources twin kit" 2nd gen?

bsmith

Never enough
I want to change my cold piping to 3" and I'm unsure which radius to get.

Or if someone can tell me how to measure the radius, ill measure mine.

Thanks in advance.

If you're talking about the ones on mandrelbends.com, they give the measure of the centerline radius. Don't hold me to this, but I would think you would measure the distance between the middle of the parallel pipes, and then take half of that.

On a 180* fitting, I believe CLR would be the centerline of the pipe leg to the pivot point. Which means measuring from the topside and measuring the centerline of one leg to the centerline of the other leg and dividing by 2 since the pivot point would be exactly halfway on a 180* bend.

300-pipe-bend-radius3.jpg

edit: what mxhunter147 said ^^^^ I took to long to find a picture. :)

Thanks guys. I was thinking I needed 6" but now I'm thinking it might be 4". I need to go measure again.

Three other methods of measuring;
1) Measure outside to outside of pipe, subtract the diameter of the pipe, divide that number by two, thats your CLR ie: 14" outside to outside, subtract the 4" pipe diameter, is 10", divide by two, 5" radius

2)Inside to inside, add the pipe diameter, divide by two

3)Outside to inside, divide by two.

Only for 180 or greater bends.

A 4" CLR is the tightest a true 4" dia. pipe could be bent. It's fairly common on twin sets.

A 4" CLR is the tightest a true 4" dia. pipe could be bent. It's fairly common on twin sets.
Thanks brandon, thats what I went with 4". I should have a new 3" cold pipe for about 50 bucks.

I'm anxious to see if it changes my cruising boost or anything at all.

Back