What size of tire to put on the dually?

cerickson

fullpull108
Im not needing tires just yet. Wanting to do some research on a good tire to put on wife's 06 megacab dually. I am wanting to go with a little bigger tire than is on it now. (235/70/17) I was thinking of going up to around a 265 or 270. Is that to big? I don't want to have to add spacers on the rear. I like the Firestone Transforce A/T that are on it now. Just looking to fill the wheel well a little more. Also how much will the speedometer be off with the tires? Any input and help greatly appreciated. Pics would also be greatly appreciated.

I've got 285/70/17 hancooks ATM on mine. But I've got 2in spacers in rear. I like the looks of it and so far tread wear is even on all 6.

I ran 265's on my 03, factory wheels no spacer and it was a perfect fit! If my bro in law drives it to Christmas tomorrow I'll get a pic of it for you.

Im in the same situation. Have 235's on my dually now but wanting to go up in size a lil. Have my mind set on 285's. Will a 1/2" spacer be enough between the 2 in the rear? How much spacer is in between urs with the spacers tarter6bt?

Honestly I think I could take the spacers out and the tires might be half inch away from each other but we have a farm with rocks wood chunks and don't want to chance getting something stuck between them. I can take some pics tomorrow when its light out.

I ran 265's with 1-3/4" spacers.

Yes, ^^^^ he did. LOL

Anyway.....on factory 16's wheels, you can run up to a 255 width tire. 265's won't mount without touching. And that is just plain retarded and make me want to throw rotten tomatoes at people. 255's are bastards and hard to find and the set I had wore like crap. Never again.

Spacers. The thing about spacers is that you can't run 1/2 or 3/4 or 1". Not sure about the 3rd gen trucks, but on the 2nd gens, the minimum you can run is 1-3/4" as stated above. The spacer has to be at least as long as the end of the stud bolt from the face of the hub unless you are going to drill an entire new set of lug holes in your wheels for clearance. Spacers are a PITA. I loved those 285 tires and they were awesome of the pavement. It just sucks removing 48 lug nuts to rotate tires.

You want some clearance between your tires. If they rub, or touch when loaded, they create heat. You will pick up a rock between them and it will wear a hole in the sidewall. I run factory rims and size on this new truck but I do have a 3/8 plate spacer between them. It leaves just enough lug thread to come to the outside of the nut and it gives me just that much more room for mud/rocks/crud to clean out. 3/8 is the maximum spacer you can run without offsetting and being required to add an entire new set of lug nuts.

$.02

Yes, ^^^^ he did. LOL

Anyway.....on factory 16's wheels, you can run up to a 255 width tire. 265's won't mount without touching. And that is just plain retarded and make me want to throw rotten tomatoes at people. 255's are bastards and hard to find and the set I had wore like crap. Never again.

Spacers. The thing about spacers is that you can't run 1/2 or 3/4 or 1". Not sure about the 3rd gen trucks, but on the 2nd gens, the minimum you can run is 1-3/4" as stated above. The spacer has to be at least as long as the end of the stud bolt from the face of the hub unless you are going to drill an entire new set of lug holes in your wheels for clearance. Spacers are a PITA. I loved those 285 tires and they were awesome of the pavement. It just sucks removing 48 lug nuts to rotate tires.

You want some clearance between your tires. If they rub, or touch when loaded, they create heat. You will pick up a rock between them and it will wear a hole in the sidewall. I run factory rims and size on this new truck but I do have a 3/8 plate spacer between them. It leaves just enough lug thread to come to the outside of the nut and it gives me just that much more room for mud/rocks/crud to clean out. 3/8 is the maximum spacer you can run without offsetting and being required to add an entire new set of lug nuts.

$.02

I hurt Jory's feelers... Let me back up. I bought a truck from Jory that he did all the work too and I then sold it like an idiot.

Back