what size to drill the carrier bolt holes

Ken in AZ

ill-tempered
Hey guys, I just bought a Dana 70 HD Powrlok and I have a Dana 80 rear, does anyone know what size to drill out the holes in the 70 carrier?

I could pull mine and check, but I am lazy and would like to have as little downtime as possible. I also will have it done at a machine shop, not with a hand drill :)

thanks,
Ken

The holes in the 70HD are 1/2 and the holes in your 80 are 9/16. I did mine with a hand drill, take your time, it works just fine.

I just restacked the steels inside and added some slip additive, she's pretty tight.

dzlfarmboy said:
I just restacked the steels inside and added some slip additive, she's pretty tight.

You mean the clutch packs? Mine should be brand new, but I'll be inspecting it anyway just to see how many discs are in there. supposably there are 2 setups, a 3 disc and a 5 disc....the three disc has 40% less effectiveness.

I'll have pics of my install

Ken

Ken in AZ said:
You mean the clutch packs? Mine should be brand new, but I'll be inspecting it anyway just to see how many discs are in there. supposably there are 2 setups, a 3 disc and a 5 disc....the three disc has 40% less effectiveness.

I'll have pics of my install

Ken

In my D80 there are two different types of steels with different grooves, no clutch material, their not like the D70's with Steels and Clutch packs

well it's in there. One thing to note, the stock open carrier had side shims that need to be removed. And you need the sensor ring if you want a speedo and odometer :)

Back