What to do with this ol smoker?

RacinDuallie

Black Sheep Racing
How can one get some life into these 6.2 liter diesels short of sticking a stick of explosive under the hood?:bang It's a low milage truck, that just wants to keep up to the newer ones.:bang :doh:

I think you had it with the stick of dynomite theory.LOL Seriously though short up upgrading the internals to take some abuse there isn't a whole lot that can be done to them and keep them in one piece. What year?

The 6.2 will run a long time, Jeff...It's just not a motor to hod rod by any means.

Cheapest and eaisiest would be a free flowing intake and exhaust. That might allow a 1/8 turn of the fuel adjustment screw. To get much more it will need a turbo kit and that is pretty costly and shortens the life of the motor quite a bit.

gut the intake if it has an egr in it. cut the mufflers off. turn up the fuel a bit. advance the timing just a hair. that will pretty much wake the motor up as much as you can with out adding a turbo. :rockwoot:

Look for a set of 81 heavy 3/4 or 1-ton heads, they had bigger intake valves and slightly better ports. Then, find a cam from an 82 or later heavy 3/4 or 1-ton as they stretched out the intake duration to make up for the heads having smaller intake valves... Between that, a little fuel bump, disabling the EGR, a timing bump, and a free flowing exhaust (big block headers fit with some modification BTW) and our 82 service truck has some pretty decent pep... About 170hp, can't really complain too much, but it is quite a bit more responsive as well and has no issues at all lighting the tires up (33x12.5's)

I didn't think the 6.2 was offered in p/u until 82? If so, where does one track down the elusive 81 model 6.2 heads? Military trucks or some other application? OR am I completely incorrect on my recollection about them not being available until 82?

C-ya

It was late '81 when the 6.2 was introduced. Those motors had course thread injector holes, bigger valves, and supposedly a high nickel content block.

Back