what to do

98puller

Well I Wanted A 6.4 Awful Bad But Couple Of My Buddies Tell Me no Don't Buy One The motors Are Not Living To Well At High Mileage. Cracked Piston Problems Ect. Trust Me I'm Not bashing These Trucks So No One Take This Thread The Wrong Way. I Really Really Want One But Am Now A Bit Concerned. I Just Want A Reliable Truck With The Deletes Full Exhaust And A Mini Maxx That Runs Fairly Well. No Full Race Truck Just A Respectable Truck. But My Good Buddy, Whom Is Very Knowledgeable For The Most Part, And Is A Big Name In Diesel But I Will Not Mention His Name.. Tells Me No Go On The 6.4 Buy A.6.7. Really Wish I Could But They Just Seem To Be Out Of My Price Range. What To Do???:thankyou2:

Last edited:
The 6.4 had fuel system issues. The filters are before the lift pump and when the filters get plugged, they starve the lift pump for fuel, the pump breaks down and sends metal filings to the injectors, because there is not filter from the pump to injectors.
That's the only issue I know about them... But I haven't been paying attention lately so maybe there are other issues.

I had a 6.4 and made the mistake of selling it and bought a 6.7. I will not buy another new ford with that engine after all of the issues I had out of it. This was all under 80k miles it got to the point that I told the dealer get another 6.4 in and I didnt want to see that thing again.

There are several people on her that absolutely love them.

Got a 6.4 when I traded in my dodge and love it. Got 162k on it and still going strong. Only work on motor has been head studs for blown head gaskets and new turbos cause of a blown seal in one

Most issues with the motor come to light with big hp tunes but stock motors seem to be doing okay.

Studs, full deletes, and a ported intake to add some air to the back cylinders and that should make them relatively issue free for you.

Back