What tuner do I need?

DI3S3L

I have a 2012 6.7 6 speed, I want to delete the DPF, and add an S&B intake. What tuner will allow me to do this without any DTC's? I guess H&S is out unless I find a used one, so is their a new smarty that will let me do this?

as far as i know smarty isn't in the loop either. I have seen a few places where you can go to a link and download the ME files for them yet. I'm not sure if it really works or if it's a hoax though. But as far as I know you are just going to have to find a used one.

where are you located? I may know somebody that has one.

I have been doing a lot research trying to find out which tuners still allow deletes, there are so many posts with conflicting info(I have been searching compD,cumminsforum,dieselbombers, and random google searches but have not found any definate answers). i saw somewhere that smarty's produced after march 11 will not be compatible with deletes, is there any truth to this? ive also read people are having trouble with the smarty's. would a used mini maxx 905003 for $800 be a decent deal?

Last edited:
Make sure the used mini maxx isnt vin locked. Apparently H&S will no longer be unlocking them since they are dpf delete capable. I read that a few people bought locked MM only to find out they are useless bc of all the nonsense going on with dpf delete capable tuning.

matt woertz at blackout diesel performance in corydon, IN has them yet.

I believe James at Rolling Smoke Diesel still has a few lying around.

As far as tuner, my suggestion would be EFI live. So much more usability than H&S and Smarty, and costs much less in the long run.

i think im gonna get the smarty, which one? is the senior worth the extra money? what ar the advantages of the senior?

Senior allows you to modify their canned tunes to your liking. However, there is very minimal tuning available by the end user.

What are you wanting to do with the truck. Smarty is ooooooold technology compared to the custom tunes available with EFI live and H&S MCC. As previously stated, I would avoid the smarty and go with the EFI live. You will minimize drive pressure, get more power, more adjustability, and get a cleaner burn of the fuel for much better mileage. And an EFI Live autocal from one of the tuners is $650-$700 with your custom tunes already loaded. Most include 1 year of fine tuning if you decide to upgrade your truck along the way.

For instance, I purchased an EFI live from Dave matthews. When I bought it in December, I had a stock turbo, etc. Last weekend, I finished up my 2nd gen swap with a 366 turbo. I called up dave and he sent me a new tune custom matched to my new setup. And if there is anything I dont like about it, I will datalog for him, send him the file, tell him what I want changed, and will get the tune reworked to my liking. Smarty cannot do that.

Beyond that, EFI live guys with stock trucks are seeing upwards of 500 whp. Smarty cant match that.

If your going to move on a smarty do it now. Rumor is that the ME software will not be available after march 11. All smartys will be sent out locked and unflashable from mads themselves or something to that affect

Yep, reading the MY of the truck is an important aspect of a response.....go me.

just orded the smarty Jr. ME from RSD, i did see the messag on the MADS website about having a new product code for US bound products.

Yep, reading the MY of the truck is an important aspect of a response.....go me.

Hate to hijack! So real quick...are you running stock fuel? How does it run?

Last edited:
Yeah Gravy I wasnt gonna be the one to hijack the thread but i have a steed speed and s366 waiting to go on my 4th gen with stock fuel. Always like to hear from people that have the setup! Just waiting on a few parts which should be here shortly.

Back