whats wrong with my setup?

snowpusher

Well, this will be my first official post here after a year of being a read only member, so hello. Anyway, I'm having trouble getting this truck to run the way I want so hopefully you guys can get me in the right direction.

The set up:
180 pump set up by seth at DPE - 5gsk, 0 plate full foward, gutted afc(just for now) 181dv's, mack plug/full rack travel. Pump put out 415cc which seems a little low, but should be enough, I think?
.093 lines with stock crossover tubes (problem?), JL 7x12's(rated at 240), hamiliton 181/210, s362(62/65/14) over a s475(1.32ex). stock exaust manifold & intake tube with grids still in.
Goerend tranny(tight TC), 3.55's, 33's.
Timing is currently at 33.
I don't think you need all the supporting mods, so I spare you the bla, bla, bla.

Now, my goal was a fun street truck/puller. I'm in the northeast where pulling is light years behind all of you in the serious truck pull areas. We don't have rules - its RWYB, twins, NO2, water is all allowed.

The problem is.... I can't pull over 4k in 2nd gear no matter what I do. The highest I've seen going down the track is 3800. It's over 4k in 1st untill I shift, then I just cant get them back up. My goal was to run close to 4500 in 2nd down the track. The smoke is not cleaning up, so I think I have the fuel, and egt's are hotter than I wanted - 1800ish. Do my egt's seem in line with my fuel? I'm really not sure how much fuel my twins will support.
When not hooked to the sled, the egt's stay cool untill rpm's get close to and over 4k, then they get toasty. WOT they will get hot, but back off to 90%wot and all is well. I can pull 60 - 70 psi, but not over 70psi of boost. Currently my wastegate(the only gate is on the 362) starts to open at 20-25psi. Little doggy but seems better at higher rpm's than when it opens at 30psi. Im wondering if the s362 is too restrictive at high rpm's? I know I need to hook up a drive psi guage, so that is my next step.

Any suggestions? Sorry for the long post, but I hate when people don't give enough info to get any help. Thanks.

Did Seth tell you how much fuel it was putting out at various pump rpm's? The 5k I had in my last pump wouldn't idle and would run to 4200-4300 rpm, or would idle and would go to about 3800 rpm. Never found a happy medium. Wondering if that might be your issue as well.

I had the same problems with it not idling and finally ended up sending the pump back to seth, it idles good now. Before it went back, I had a hook with it and it was no better than it is now. I have been talking back and forth with him trying to get this thing to run better, and on the stand he said it fuels right to 5k. How can you tell if the pump is fueling right at high rpm's? It will free rev right past 4k, and it's over 4k in 1st gear, I just can't get it to pull the rpm's in the higher gears.

Ok, Maby some more direct questions are in line to get some answers.

Are my egt's in line with my fueling and turbos? Meaning, should I be seeing 1800+ with my 362/475 compound setup?

Bring the timing down to 28* and add some *nx*

Back