Which axles? What upgrades?

cumminstroked

I have a 99 F250 4x4 and i was wondering which dana series axles this year of truck came factory. Front and rear. What upgrades would be a wise decision for a dedicated sled puller? Any input would be appreciated.

Dana 50 front/sterling 10.5 rear

I've broke the rear twice in mine sledpulling, broke the ring and pinion the first time. Broke an axle shaft and Detroit locker the second. im going to a Dana 80 rear. Have had good luck with the 50 front, with an arb locker.

okay thanks. to swap out to a 80 rear is there anything I should look for when looking at used axles and assemblies?

The only way you'll get a Dana 80 with the ford lug pattern is out of a dually. They are 6 inches wider flange to flange. And to get 8 on 170 pattern has to be from a 99-03 f-350

Okay thanks. The sterling 10.5, If a person were to put some lower yukon gears and axles in it what do you think it could handle torque and horses in your opinion? it would be nice to go to a dana i do believe and i would like to run duals so i guess that would be a win win situation, i dont know if i have the power to keep two more tires turning just yet though, but there are some upgrades coming in the near future

From what I've found there aren't any aftermarket axles. Lower gears gives you a smaller pinion. Like I said I broke mine twice not gonna fix it again. I'm not going to run duals with mine. Gonna run it the way it is with single tires. Prolly gonna space the front out to match.

Yeah pretty aggravating to fix the same thing twice... I bet that would look good spacing them both out. If you didn't space the front out you could cover a wider area of ground. I hear people always talking about running their tires in different tracks and some say it is beneficial

Back