Which Duramax Engine for old car

Blacksdieselhp

Comp Diesel Sponsor
We are about to start on a 50' Caddy and after lots of thinking, I think Im gonna go with a duramax engine instead of a cummins mainly because the install will be cleaner and it will fit better. So which one should I go with? Its not gonna be a big power build. Just a driver. Stock engine power with a little efi tuning will be more than enough. I dont know much at all about the wiring on the duramax engines. So Im looking for the simplest one to wire up standalone.

I'm not 100% sure but I believe all of them can be made to run with a 5-wire setup. The engine harness that goes from the injectors to the ECM will be almost completely intact and use the factory plugs for the sensors, injectors, bale connectors, ecm, etc.

I'd say the LBZ is the best platform.

What trans are you going to run?

Duramax

I have done a few and I would have to say the LB7 is the simplest. The LBZ is the cleanest. Both will work well and would be a ball in a caddy! If I can help in anyway just give me a call. We should have the Chevy II out in a month or so with a good LB7. It will be another car in the pro street class.

Thanks guys. Jeff, send me your #. Shawn has a super nice 67 chevy II we painted for him a several years ago and he hasnt done anything with it. Been thinking of a duramax in it also. It would probably be in the pro stock class, I'd have to check rules again.

Chevy II

It is street legal with all lights. Even the dome light works. It's a old 10.5 car that had a blown small block in it. It will be a pretty cool car. Ashley I sent you my number.

Back