Who know's a little on A/C Voltage

DLV8

long story short.... My buddy was given this compressor,

Looking at the specs it requires 380V 3-phase but, the garage it's going in has 240v 1-phase. I know next to nothing about alternative current but, what would it to get this to work in that garage?

Attachments

• IMG_0190.jpg
    IMG_0190.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
A phase converter or change the motor. The phase converters that use a electric motor to create the third leg suck. Using a VFD converter is the way to go but I honestly would change the motor if that is a option. Over a 7.5 hp motor is going to be crazy money in single phase. The "good deals" on 3 phase equipment is often spent 3 times over trying to power it. Prob better trying to sell it and buy a smaller one if it has any value.

So would that motor be worth anything if I were to sell it? The specs sheet says it's a 15hp. It's brand new! Or is 3-phase not desired?

3 phase is desirable, but you would need a15hp phase converter, and for normal shop use around the house, that thing is a monster.
A motor style phase converter its more efficient and provides cleaner power than a static capacitor style converter.. With no loss of power.
A vfd would be ideal, but spendy.

Sell it and buy a big stand up, it should be worth about 2500 bucks, maybe more

You might be able to sell it. As Sinner said, the 3 phase stuff is for industrial for the most part. I would try to trade it to someone who could use something that size, for a size that is a little better suited.

You might be able to find a VFD used for cheap, check EBAY. However if your buying one without a warranty, the parts to keep them running/fix them can be spendy. Not spendy when coming out of the companies pocket, but coming out of yours would be different.

Last edited:
I'm so fortunate to have 3phase in the shop. Too bad I don't have a use for a large compressor!

that photo must not do it justice then. What size tank is it? and u said 380v? Is that 50hz?

Chinese copy of a SpeedAire style compressor. Don't sell it to a friend....

that photo must not do it justice then. What size tank is it? and u said 380v? Is that 50hz?

Tank size is 320liters. yes, 380v, wich seems like a odd voltage to me. As far as hertz, I have no idee.

Chinese copy of a SpeedAire style compressor. Don't sell it to a friend....

Speedair style is pretty different.... Would you not trust this compressor?

The 380v is common to Canada, (365v) so it won't work in the USA on commercial shops, probably 50hz as well.. The motor might have connections to go 480v but i doubt it...

Tank size is 320liters. yes, 380v, wich seems like a odd voltage to me. As far as hertz, I have no idee.

380v is a European 3 phase thing. thats why i was asking about the 50hz. if you can find a cheap replacement motor i'd keep it. if not i'd sell and get one that you can use.

That is a copy of the old speed aire 3 lung. The originals were low rpm and extremely quiet. Those Chinese are really poorly made and assembled. If it does not come apart right away in almost no time it will. Connecting rods and the rings seem to go bad fast. We saw a surge in people using them in HVAC control systems and many failed within hours and most didn't make it a year. They do not cost 20% of a name brand one for no reason.

That is a copy of the old speed aire 3 lung. The originals were low rpm and extremely quiet. Those Chinese are really poorly made and assembled. If it does not come apart right away in almost no time it will. Connecting rods and the rings seem to go bad fast. We saw a surge in people using them in HVAC control systems and many failed within hours and most didn't make it a year. They do not cost 20% of a name brand one for no reason.

worst case scenario... a new motor and non-chinese air compressor pump? Please don't tell me the tanks are know to explode too.

Last edited:
Looks like you all have it covered. LOL We hooked up a phase converter on milling machine at my neighbors. PITA to have a motor to drive a motor IMO.

Just looking at it makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Phase converters aren't that bad. I had to run a balanced leg rotary to power up my CNC mills when I first moved here. Never a problem, but they use almost twice as much power as it would running on standard 3 phase. I went from 100A of single phase to 400 amps of 3 phase and it sure made life easier here at the shop. Delta system with one leg about 20v more than the other 2.

Back