kjp fab thread

kjpcummins

I figured i would just start a thread for some of my projects. Seems i have alot of stuff i want to make for myself but hard to find the time. So i probably wont post to often. Hopefully soon i will get time to finish my tow twins.

Attachments

• 20140518_132740.jpg
    20140518_132740.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20140530_100639.jpg
    20140530_100639.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Intercooler and manifold I did this weekend for a friends 2.5 truck. I cant seem to figure out what im doing wrong yet as pics posted from my phone are upside down.

Attachments

• 20140629_170734.jpg
    20140629_170734.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20140629_123729.jpg
    20140629_123729.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I'm impressed you made a 90 out of 9 pieces. It looks really good. Kinda resembles the 9 banded armadillo. ;)

How did you cut that stuff and keep the cuts straight enough to get it to look so good?

I went and borrowed the welding shops mitre bandsaw. Basically you draw two lines down a piece of tubing 180deg out from each other for refernce lines. Then i enter the clr, bend angle, tubing size and number of pieces into a pie cut calculator. That gave me the angle of cut and length of the long side i needed. Then start cutting. You use the reference lines later aswell to line back up when you tack it together so they are straight.

Need another 9 pieces to finish that downpipe. It prolly didnt need 9 pieces but i like that it looked much smoother that way.

Looks really nice, going to be a tight squeeze to get a down pipe in there between the turbo and block huh?

Down pipe is on the primary its hard to see in that pic since its under the header. I think there is 1/2in clearance to the block.

Down pipe is on the primary its hard to see in that pic since its under the header. I think there is 1/2in clearance to the block.

Awesome, I like how the transition flange from the secondary to the primary on the exhaust side. Nice and tight ought to retain alot of energy.

Welded the manifold up on saturday and built hydrualic steering this afternoon. Better pic of where the downpipe is. Need to finish the downpipe and do the external gate setup still.

Attachments

• DSCN0251.jpg
    DSCN0251.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0253.jpg
    DSCN0253.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0255.jpg
    DSCN0255.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0256.jpg
    DSCN0256.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 0
Welded the manifold up on saturday and built hydrualic steering this afternoon. Better pic of where the downpipe is. Need to finish the downpipe and do the external gate setup still.

Looks good. I'm not expert, but from what I have gathered, the hydro needs to be sitting a little closer to the axle. Reason is because you want the tie rod links to be facing out(toward front of truck) toward the knuckle not in(toward rear). When they face in toward the knuckle as you turn your putting more side load on the hydro shaft and it could cause it to wear out a little faster. It would just give you a little better geometry is all. I know you pretty much have it all welded up so it's probably a moot point, but if you run into an issue down the road I would bet that's the reason. :Cheer:

All the hydrualic steering setups i have seen on rock crawlers are angled alittle bit like mine and very few are actually straight and havent seen any angle forward. Problem with setting it closer to the axle is then you need two different length tie rods and i have two 1ft pieces. This setup is only turning 315s so i dont think there will be any issues.

Back