silver bullet on 12 valve

Willy91

Howdy folks,
I'm looking at possibly trading my current turbo in on an II silverbullet. I'm wondering what those of you who run them think of it. Reason for trading is that my trucks runs pretty hot egt's at full throttle right now, and I'm getting ready to put a set of delivery valves in it to chase away a bucking issue with my big injectors, so I figure if I have the opertunitie to get it for a reasonable price it might be worth doing. Opinions please????

The best street charger I had on my 12V was the sledpuller 66. I ran a really tight convertor and the truck was just great on the street. The silver bullet was the best 66 mm pulling charger on my truck.

Go for it. The silver bullet rocks. My brothers setup is similar except he has a 5 speed. He did 525/1077 Awesome multi purpose turbo. Tim

judgeing by your mods id say give it more timing. it will run cooler and better. what u got for trade the 62/14?

judgeing by your mods id say give it more timing. it will run cooler and better. what u got for trade the 62/14?

yeah, I know she needs some mre timing, I'm just trying to make my stock head gaske live till I can get the oringing done.

Had a silver bullet went bigger on my 94. Good charger though. I am only running ddp4s not the comps like you. 19 deg timing.

Not to get off topic but how are the comps? I assume you drive them on the street?

yeah I'd rather just stud and oring it. I should be able to within a month or 2. I think I might be using a little bit of coolant already anyway, not going to the oil thoguh. But I can't complain. I ran my stock hx 35 to 60+psi more times than I could count, can you say drive presure.:charger:

Had a silver bullet went bigger on my 94. Good charger though. I am only running ddp4s not the comps like you. 19 deg timing.

Not to get off topic but how are the comps? I assume you drive them on the street?

Yeah I drive them on the street. They are a great njectors, can drive them with no smoke if I want to, but when wanted they flow some fuel will peg my 2K degree pyro in no time. They idle smooth, don't haze, and get me 15mpg, and that was pulling a gooseneck for about half of the tank.

yeah, ive ran the ddp 5's vs/ the 4's, it all depends on the amount of timing you have and the fuel behind the injectors, but i could tow 7000 pounds with the comp 5's and lazer cuts at 26* timing and a 62/74/14 :D

Willy, thought you got rid of the bucking and surging? Your truck sounds possessed like mine lol. In any event delivery valves didn't get rid of the problem with my truck, hopefully it will with yours!!!

The way I understand it is the torque converter selection will play a huge part in how the larger II turbo lights or doesn't light. Higher stall like 1800 plus for a turbo like the Silver Bullet! Good luck man. Depending upon what pulling the head reveals this weekend I may be in the market for a charger soon myself.

I went from a 62/71-14 to a silver bullet in a 500+rwhp 6sp truck, and I didn't like it... it was fun and all, but the 62 didn't get THAT hot, and it was much more fun to drive around w/ the smaller turbo. I saw about a 200* EGT reduction at full tilt. something that could easily be had w/ some water/methanol injection

I couldn't IMAGINE driving that turbo w/ an auto and a tight converter!

as stated above, you need WAY more timing... I'd crank it up to 19-20* or so. that'll help EGT's considerably.

does your bucking/surging happen at lower RPM and/or zero load/zero boost? if so, I bet your timing is even lower than you think. I wouldn't TOUCH the DV's in there untill you get the thing timed right.

timming is the key,,, i was running 16-17 and now running 22 my egt are at 1500 by the end of the 1/4 ,,, i thing you may have some lagg in that turbo ,i bet it light at 1900 -2100 rpms ,,

I went from a 62/71-14 to a silver bullet in a 500+rwhp 6sp truck, and I didn't like it... it was fun and all, but the 62 didn't get THAT hot, and it was much more fun to drive around w/ the smaller turbo. I saw about a 200* EGT reduction at full tilt. something that could easily be had w/ some water/methanol injection

I couldn't IMAGINE driving that turbo w/ an auto and a tight converter!

as stated above, you need WAY more timing... I'd crank it up to 19-20* or so. that'll help EGT's considerably.

does your bucking/surging happen at lower RPM and/or zero load/zero boost? if so, I bet your timing is even lower than you think. I wouldn't TOUCH the DV's in there untill you get the thing timed right.

I checked the timing on my truck when I pulled the 180 pump off mine, it never moved from 17 degrees. Is the verdict on larger injectors that more timing is needed for them to work better in non or low boost high load scenarios?

I've never had any problems with stumblin/bucking/rough running/etc with any big injectors, either in my old 175 pump, 180 pump, or the 3 - 215 pumps I've had...guess I'm just lucky.

Timing makes a huge difference though...checked the timing on the 98 the other day, 7.5*. I know it didn't slip, but my lift calculations must have been a little off...whoops:D

Chris

High timing does lower the EGT, but it can give you a false since of security. Your injecting the fuel in sooner, so you expose the piston to heat longer. So in my opinion the heat is staying in the engine. I know a guy that we pull with that runs crazy timing and he said he had to do that to drop the EGT. He was at 40 degrees with a SPS66 and he burnt the motor down, but an s400 on it with a fresh rebuild got like 4 hooks out of it and it is down again. Thought it was just a head gasket, but from what I hear cylinder scoring.
The smaller jumps probably aren't that bad, bud sometimes people think a little is good, a lot is better!

the only times I've had rough/stumbling with my 215 trucks was when the timing was low and it would occur when you romped on the throttle in the 1500-2000+ range at no load/no boost. the bigger the turbo, the more pronounced...

example, my current '98 is only set at like 16* (previous owner set it, I use it every day for work, it works fine for me) he had a PDR35-12... it could be ice cold out, you could nail it at any load/condition and not bucking/popping/etc.

with the sps62 on it, I can get some misfiring if I'm cruising along at lower speeds w/ some RPM on the tach and no boost

with the same turbo on my last truck with 19* timing, you could stab it at any condition and it would just get it.

same thing happened when I went from the stock turbo to an HX40 on my old '97.. checked the timing, and it was at 12.5*. bumped it to 17* and all drivability issues went away

Interesting, when I nail it it usually runs smooth, shoots out smoke like it's on fire, then goes like hell when the turbo lights (remember I have the lazy 21cm housing). But when I give it 1/3 throttle to 3/4 throttle under no/little boost and high load it gives me the surge bucking. Maybe it's just normal.

Also, forgot to add that when it surges and acts foolish this is when hazing is at its worse!!!

Interesting, when I nail it it usually runs smooth, shoots out smoke like it's on fire, then goes like hell when the turbo lights (remember I have the lazy 21cm housing). But when I give it 1/3 throttle to 3/4 throttle under no/little boost and high load it gives me the surge bucking. Maybe it's just normal.

Also, forgot to add that when it surges and acts foolish this is when hazing is at its worse!!!

what color smoke? (when surging/hazing)

Back