POLL- Track Surface Issue

What causes possible issues with track surfaces at diesel events

• Total voters

RacinDuallie

Black Sheep Racing
Does soot cause bad track surfaces or is it 4wd trucks ripping the surface at diesel events???

I have an issue with someone on this very subject and would like to hear the people speak out and vote! :thankyou2:

I've never heard anyone complain about this before but that doesn't mean it doesn't. I have heard of people avoiding whatever lane I go in because of my 4x4 tires though, mostly to do with the burnout area.

I cant blame soot. Anyone who has ever made the mistake of plopping down on the taigate of a stacked truck can tell you that that stuff will stick to anything LOL

We have never had an issue at the all diesel events with soot. Our best 1/8th mile time 4.80 was in Texas after it had been sooted on for hours and Lott put down some antifreeze. It's typical for the gasser guys to say something when we race them, but if we weren't there, they'd be blaming it on something else.
I will say street tires do chew up the rubber on the starting line, and that is a major disadvantage for the sportsman classes with slicks. That's why I like to go out before the Pro Street class, we can lay down some good rubber for them. There's a reason that track's have a slick-tire test n tune....

I am not sure that any of the above are the issue. I know that when I tried to launch in 2wd that I could tear up a track pretty easy, even with 315s or especially with 315s. So I don't even think about that anymore. With 4wd launches I rarely spin a tire off the line and cannot really see this causing a problem. Maybe just not having the proper traction setup and tires for your particular vehicle is the main problem.

I'm on the phone with Keating, he ran his best pass in Houston right after I ran. Hours of soot going down the track and Keating and Dr. Performance had their best runs of the year!

I think it's all BS. When we ran in Pomona, people complained about the smoke and how it supposedly caused Bazemore to lose. Well, the track had been cleaned and prepped after we ran, so I think diesel smoke, and 4-by's are just another way they can ***** about something, especially if they lose. What's the old saying; 'excuses are like a$$holes, everyone's got one.'

I don't believe any of the above cause a problem.... can you make a "none of the above" box? Tell me how soot would make a difference? How could a 4x4 do much dammage? And, how in the world would improper suspension on car A affect car B? .......Racing is racing, plain and simple. If all things were equal why not just show the designs and bench race or put them on a Dyno? O'le Nancy pants will britch about anything that didn't go their way. What do you think will happen if we find out that Diesels (because of weight, soot or something) actually make the track BETTER? I guess folks will get mad if a Diesel "did not" run before them. :doh:

Burner said:
I don't believe any of the above cause a problem.... can you make a "none of the above" box? Tell me how soot would make a difference? How could a 4x4 do much dammage? And, how in the world would improper suspension on car A affect car B? .......Racing is racing, plain and simple. If all things were equal why not just show the designs and bench race or put them on a Dyno? O'le Nancy pants will britch about anything that didn't go their way. What do you think will happen if we find out that Diesels (because of weight, soot or something) actually make the track BETTER? I guess folks will get mad if a Diesel "did not" run before them. :doh:

See poll above......:thankyou2:

This is a very tough issue to answer. Do 4x4's with street tires cause surface issues. Yes, street tires in general cause surface issuses, especially if the track is not prepped correctly. This all depends on the class that is racing, and the surface of the starting line itself. Top fuel racers complain about the Pro Stock cars causing problems. And they do, but that's racing.

I don't think that soot itself is much of an issue. I know some racers complain about it, but I actually put down less smoke going down the track then a lot of gassers do. Raw fuel is another story though. If someone blows a boot (for example), and keeps legging it down the track, that can for sure put raw fuel on the track and make it very slick.

Most of my racing is with other cars, not in diesel only events. I have yet to this date had someone complain to me about me causing track issues. I do however on a regular basis ask others if I am causing them issues. When racing other cars, smoke (smoking out the lights), is probably more of an issue then soot. I've spent a lot of time, making sure that my setup doesn't do that.

Paul

Most of the people racing at these events are racing their daily drivers. In a non-race application (daily driver), sacrifices are made for drivabiliity and comfort. I think it's improper setup.

brandon.

I can't get behind the soot arguement at all...I just don't see it causing any issues.

Street tires though...whether 4wd truck or a street driven Mustang or whatever...those consistently tear the tracks up.
Mud or AT tires will dig up rubber whether they spin or not..and some kid on street tires that spins off the line...just look at the results when they leave....nice shiny concrete.

I suppose an improperly set-up suspension could do some damage too....if the tires shake bad and pull up some rubber...we're guilty of that ourselves with the Outlaw cars.

The only thing that affects the condition of the track surface is the regular street tires/mud tires. But like McBride said, this is a problem in the burnout area, and for about the first 10 foot of the track, with large bald spots left. Soot is not a problem at DHRA races. The only vehicles I know of that leave a residue on the track that hurts other racers is jet cars w/ that dang kerosene. It mists down the entire track.

I voted for the soot being a problem but only for those that have there exhaust point down onto the track. I saw the Predator truck a few years back leave a nice cooked soot spot on the burnout area. That I could see being a problem.I believe that everyone has changed there exhaust since then.

The Single Biggest Problem At Diesel Only Events Is Lack Of Track Prep Because We Are Only Diesel's In The Track's Mind, With That Said When You Have Street Tires Running On Any Preped Surface The Street Tires Will Actually Pick Up The Rubber And Vht That Is Their And That Takes Away What The Slick Vehicles Need To Stick.

I would agree that lack of track prep is a factor. I have been to many 'diesel' events where no vht was sprayed. Another big problem i have seen is trucks that have just come off the job site, with an undercarriage covered in mud. doing a 4wd launch and leaving dirt all over the track.

i dont think soots an issue, i dont think 4x4 launches are an issue, especially since 90% of us launch in 4x4 so we dont spin, if the tires are planted they arent ruining the track surface!

If they want to ***** about it so much why don't they pay for an independent scientific study company to do some scientific testing and determine wheter they are flapping their jaws because they are just baby or they have a actually have a point they can bring up with track officals around the country do make some changes after diesel trucks run.

Option 2 would be if they wanna ***** about it tell them that their cars are just plain baby and need 4WD so they don't have to worry about spinning after the diesels run cuz unlike the previous era of diesels before they were put on back burner, diesels are here to stay this time.

Option 3 tell them if the wanna piss on themselves and cry about it to there momma about losing they can always load up and go home or sit in the bleachers watch everyone else run instead of just having fun like everyone else

Back