Free rev poping

natesredride

natesredride
I just got my truck together from getting the head o-ringed and I put all my parts on also this is my first time working on a 12v so any advice is good for me. It is a 96 five speed 215 pump. I put a S465 on it and a 5x.016 sticks a .20 over gasket cds5k springs gutted afc 0 plate full forward half mill dvs fuel system and 3850. The timming is set at 25 degrees. When I first drove it I had the timming slip twice and now it has a new nut and lock that fixed it has not slipped yet. But now when you free rev it. Once it is warm it will start popping at about 2500 and runs rough but when you take it out and drive it under a load it will run great 50psi at 2200 and pulls strong up to 3900 that is the furthest I have taken it. It runs way better than my 24v that I had but don't understand it popping when you try to rev it when not under a load any help will be good this is my first 12v build. Thanks Nate

I just got my truck together from getting the head o-ringed and I put all my parts on also this is my first time working on a 12v so any advice is good for me. It is a 96 five speed 215 pump. I put a S465 on it and a 5x.016 sticks a .20 over gasket cds5k springs gutted afc 0 plate full forward half mill dvs fuel system and 3850. The timming is set at 25 degrees. When I first drove it I had the timming slip twice and now it has a new nut and lock that fixed it has not slipped yet. But now when you free rev it. Once it is warm it will start popping at about 2500 and runs rough but when you take it out and drive it under a load it will run great 50psi at 2200 and pulls strong up to 3900 that is the furthest I have taken it. It runs way better than my 24v that I had but don't understand it popping when you try to rev it when not under a load any help will be good this is my first 12v build. Thanks Nate

Sounds like it is running out of fuel.. Check the fuel filter, and overflow valve on the pump..

I will check it the fuel pump is rated at 320gph and I have it set at 55psi and overflow valve on the pump you mean my regulator. The stock fuel system is gone I have that fuel pump gravity feed to a remote filter and right to the injection pump and if it was running out of fuel just revving it up then under a load it would be worse right. But I will look at it thanks

I will check it the fuel pump is rated at 320gph and I have it set at 55psi and overflow valve on the pump you mean my regulator. The stock fuel system is gone I have that fuel pump gravity feed to a remote filter and right to the injection pump and if it was running out of fuel just revving it up then under a load it would be worse right. But I will look at it thanks

The overflow valve it on the engine side towards the front of the pump.. If you have that all blocked off the I would suggest checking pressure at the pump.. Mine does the same thing when my fuel filter is getting clogged.. I change it, and no more popping..

i have the same problem......im changed my fuel filter.....i think its the overflow valve.....how do you replace it with a regulator?

I know a ton of 12 valve trucks that will do this... mine included, never could find out why. All have been 215 pumps with the timing retard notches in the plunger. May be that has something to do with it ??? Just don't free rev it, Thats my cure

I know a ton of 12 valve trucks that will do this... mine included, never could find out why. All have been 215 pumps with the timing retard notches in the plunger. May be that has something to do with it ??? Just don't free rev it, Thats my cure

Mine too, even at 22* it would do it and I have a 215 pump. That's interesting. But, as I was getting at, if I slowly raise the rpms it doesn't do it. 215s do dump fuel quicker for given rack travel I believe, maybe the fuel comes in to quick the air that's their to burn it.

How does the retard notch work again?

Not sure if you were directing your post at me Weston but I worded my response wrong. It should have read: 215s do dump fuel quicker for given rack travel I believe, maybe the fuel comes in too quick FOR the air that's there to burn it.

What I mean is the quantity of fuel is there quicker for the given rack travel of a 215 pump vs. other stock pumps. I wasn't talking about injection timing.

Don’t pay any attention to Smokem. HE KNOWS NOTHING about 12 valves. He should stick with the good ol 6.5s

I will play with it some more this weekend and when free reving it when it was popping at 2500 to 2800 I did not try to take it anymore and I was going up to those rpms slow. I will need to rev it that high to bring the rpms up off the line and then let the clutch out and get my boost and go. Waiting on my 4"to3" inter cooler boot so I can play with it some more Do these other trucks that do it finally smooth out cause I plan on leaving the line at 4000 or 4500 If I can get that the more I play with it and how tight are your cds5k springs mine are at what the directions said one soft and five hard idles smooth their but the more clicks a little more rpm to a certain point right or should that be about right where I have it to get max rpm out of them thanks for the info guys Nate

maybe lift pump. your are running your rpms up faster without load and it cant keep up but once put under a load the rpms dont jump as fast

my 180 pump does the same thing, when it pops it causes a slight amount of blue smoke. May be related to timing, I'm going to check it this weekend.

Back