Tire size on dedicated sled puller-how crucial?

Bobcat698

Pure Diesel Power
As you know, I broke my share of parts last year and I may attribute some of them to the fact that I ran 35" (mild) mud terrain tires.

I was planning on stepping down to a 33 inch or 285 tire for 2007, but I'm wondering if I beef up the drivetrain a bit more with Haisley 35 spline rear axles and 35 spline axles in the front, how necessary it would be.

I think the 35's work nicely with my 4.10 gear ratio, and my RPM's down the track were 4k rpm in 2nd, where it seemed to pull the best.

Should I buy a set of 33's or just put the money into the drivetrain and engine?

Lets hear your opinions on the subject.

i think you might have less parts failures with smaller tires but i have always pull with a small tire so i am not sure, i know the guys i see running big tires do seam to break more stuff
robert

Reckon you could borrow a set of 285's for a pull or 2 Garrett? It is easier to test than to spend $$ that you may not need to.

Hey, I was the guy and g/f in the Black Dmax w/ stacks that was hangin out with Mark Harris at Scheid when your rear went. Anyways, Mark went from 35s to 33s last year and didn't break anything and even won some. He DOES however run the 3:55 gears.

Its seems to me that you'll be able to get more ground speed with the 35s though and thats usually a plus with modern sleds. Maybe you simply had a string of bad luck on parts breaking and its not entirely because of your tire size.

Not jabbing, but having the power to turn the 35s would be a crucial disiding factor as well I would think.

C-ya

Timbeaux38 said:
Reckon you could borrow a set of 285's for a pull or 2 Garrett? It is easier to test than to spend $$ that you may not need to.

I have a set of 33" BFG MTR's that are wore down to about 30%, on 16.5 inch rims.
Thing is, the rim is cracked. It holds air fine, but I imagine theres a chance that it could let loose while sled pulling.

Nice to hear from you again Smokeshow.

I plan on upping the power level more this year so I should have sufficient power.
Most of my breakage was on the line, so it was more of a matter of having too strong of brakes.

Here is a video that shows some good tire spinnage :)
Click here to see Video

You can also tell once I got it more tuned in here:
Click here to see Video
That it was running better.

Garrett,
Yeah, get some 33's.
I would also advise maybe going to a dual wheel setup in the back.

I broke plenty of parts with 33's. I wouldn't sacrafice rpm's for tire size. Try a set of 33's and try a different gear and see if you can keep the r's where you need it.

I'd say your breakage had more to do with the fact that you are running an MTR instead of an AT tire. If you have the power to run the 35's then I would switch to a 35" AT tire and go on with it. You'll have more gear and more tire on the track.

I don,t know what rpm you go down the track.We use a GB trans and T conv.also
33" AT= Gears 3.54 low side 2.72 trans 2nd 1.45=final drive 13.96 ,rpm3600 mph=25.3
Yours with4.10 33"2nd low your final drive is 16.17 mph 21.9
4.10 with 35" the corrected ratio is 15.26 mph 24.6
I just based this off our rpm I wood stay with the 35 as if you can stay on top of the charger. jeff S.and Keven C. was running with their sticks 33s30.8mph at 3500rpm.4th and low .2nd high mph is 27.0 hope this helps you out.
Dale

i used to pull with bf mudders. switched over to bfg at's, my truck has never pulled down(traction) like it did with some wore out at's. imo, mud tires offer less traction, you could take this as keeping your rpms up, or less breakage(less traction)

You wouldn,t be able to pull that gear.At 4000 your mph 2nd and low with 33 is 24.3
3rd lowside at 4000rpm mph is 35.2 final drive is 11.15

Dale

So what your saying is pull at around 4k or whatever RPM it will reach in 2nd (up to 4495) and let it rip? *with 33" tires*

I was pulling with 35s in 2nd at 4k rpm, so what would the gain be for me in 07?
Being able to sustain that RPM longer as the weight comes forward?

i figured out that with my 6spd in 4th gear 4 low, with 3.54 gears, and 35" tires i should be at about 28.5 mph at 3500 rpm (wont really pull much more than that with the 24v) which should be pretty good for me. hopefully i dont break too much stuff after i get this tranny rebuilt again.

Bobcat698 said:
So what your saying is pull at around 4k or whatever RPM it will reach in 2nd (up to 4495) and let it rip? *with 33" tires*

I was pulling with 35s in 2nd at 4k rpm, so what would the gain be for me in 07?
Being able to sustain that RPM longer as the weight comes forward?
Yes that is what I would do. and get a set of BFG AT.

Dale

Back